FAS amp models

jiagap

Inspired
In a recent thread, "So, what's everyone's favorite amp model?" Someone recommended the FAS Modern III. I tend toward Fenders (cleans and crunch) and use an ES-335 most of the time and have not scanned the FAS models for a couple years, but thought I would give it a try.

Caveats: My 335 is in the shop so I was using my recently purchased Guild Bluesbird. I was also using a recently purchased Xitone 12" active wedge. And I have not explored any of the FAS models since Aries released.

So, I cannot say if it is any one thing or a combo of factors, but wowzers the FAS Modern III was incredible. The tightness and presence of the low end jumped right out at me. I toggled around all the other FAS models and experimented with some complimentary cabs and all the FAS models were wonderful in their own way. I even tried the FAS Bass for a little jazz and it was subdued and sweet.

All this to say, if you have not tried the FAS models recently, give them a try.

The box that just keeps on giving!!! Cliff is an experimenting genius in my book. Looking at the Cliff Notes on some of these is a trip to see how some of them came about. Some of the best recipes are through experimenting with ingredients.

Yep, unlike other modelers, the FAS models seem to be more than just "interpretations" of a particular type of amp, they are in essence Fractal Audio's signature amp line. Reading through their descriptions in the Axe Wiki, they are happy accidents, experiments morphing the 'best' features of certain amps into one model or full on creations from Cliff.

What would be cool is if Cliff were able to collaborate with an amp builder and have a couple of his favorites built. That would be the the ultimate way to 'legitimize' Fractal Audio's amp modelling process; if a previously non-existent amp were to be created using an amp block's settings and configuration into a physical amp. I wouldn't doubt that the FAS amps would compete with the top amps on the market today.

I had quite the crush on the FAS HotRod until the Brit 800 #34 (which is really also a FAS model) came out.

Back
Top Bottom