Fancy power cables…

GuyJames

Inspired
IMG_4974.jpeg
Anyone else using these power cables? I definitely noticed a boost in clarity using these with my AER amp but was told it wouldn’t do anything for digital amp/effects processors like my FM9. Maybe good for floor monitors but still not sure. Seems to be most effective with tube amps and HiFi

Thoughts/experience?

Thoughts?
I have some - in my humble opinion, these will do exactly nothing to your sound. Your power probably traverses, many kilometers of wire, before getting outside your studio, where another wire goes to your house, and is then distributed through your walls via the power distribution panel, until it eventually terminates in the PowerPoint you are plugging your unit into.
Thanks
Pauly

Yeah thankfully I didn’t pay for these and they were gifted but I really do notice a difference when powering my AER. I’m sure it would benefit my fender pro jr but I’d need to have it installed.

The stuff you pick up on via the power line are surges and spikes originating in other (heavy) machinery connected to the same power grid. There's a lot of filtering in place in power supplies to reduce that noise. The power line is by no means an antenna to pick up radio signals, its impedance is far to low and the voltage level is way higher than any radio signal. This said it would require a really strong radio transmitter to induce such noise into a power line and even overcome the power supplies filters. It makes a lot of sense to prevent this from happening on a high-impedance / low-voltage signal such as a guitar cable, but even there it's not really the EMI filter characteristic that makes the difference but the cables impedance and capacitance assuming the cable's shielding is properly done.

View attachment 123657
Anyone else using these power cables? I definitely noticed a boost in clarity using these with my AER amp but was told it wouldn’t do anything for digital amp/effects processors like my FM9. Maybe good for floor monitors but still not sure. Seems to be most effective with tube amps and HiFi

Thoughts/experience?
You need the gold wire version for $20K for better clarity.

Unless your original power cables were not thick enough between the wall outlet and the standard tube amplifier and starved it of power through the thinner wire, it won't be noticeable. For the modeler? It won't make a difference.

That said, it is nice to have good quality cables and connectors, be it power or audio, so no harm there - especially since they were a gift. Enjoy!

Yeah certainly won't hurt anything as they are usually well made, overengineered cables.

If a relatively short power cable is thin enough to cause a noticeable drop in mains voltage, it's going to get pretty hot dissipating all that power. Tonal difference will be the least of your concerns at that point.

Yeah certainly won't hurt anything as they are usually well made, overengineered cables.

If a relatively short power cable is thin enough to cause a noticeable drop in mains voltage, it's going to get pretty hot dissipating all that power. Tonal difference will be the least of your concerns at that point.
YUP!!

Back
Top Bottom