(Fake) Drum Suggestions?

It's pretty cool. It's not as versatile as say EZ Drummer or Get Good Drums where you can create your own beats though but I think it sounds great. Beat Buddy has pre programmed beats all with intro's, beat 1-3, fill's 1-3 and an outro. It's very convenient though. I keep it connected to my focusrite interface via 1/4" cables. I purchased some extra beats from their website. I looked into it just cause I don't really have the time or patience to program beats. With this I can find a beat that fits my idea and get to recording pretty quick. It's definitely worth looking into as an alternate option to drum software.
Awesome, definitely will check it out, thanks

It's pretty cool. It's not as versatile as say EZ Drummer or Get Good Drums where you can create your own beats though but I think it sounds great. Beat Buddy has pre programmed beats all with intro's, beat 1-3, fill's 1-3 and an outro. It's very convenient though. I keep it connected to my focusrite interface via 1/4" cables. I purchased some extra beats from their website. I looked into it just cause I don't really have the time or patience to program beats. With this I can find a beat that fits my idea and get to recording pretty quick. It's definitely worth looking into as an alternate option to drum software.
Hi Bishop
I have, as mentioned all sorts of drum software but in the 80's I had this drum thing, I think by Roland. Anyway, it was much, much bigger but you could play intro's and fills with the foot pedals. Used it with 2 keyboards players, one who was excellent at playing bass lines and chords. But the sounds were terrible and you could not load anything on it.

Anyway, is it well built and also they claim the sounds are big wave samples and you can load your own. Sounds very cool indeed. I love stuff like this.

Cool, thanks Todd, I'll check it out! Basically I'm looking for a way to get more realistic drums for any songs I write/record in Logic - would this be a good thing for that?
Hey Brian
I have been looking at videos and they also have a Beat Buddy mini 2. Biggest difference (besides 1/2 the price) is you cannot load new midi beats or wave samples.
The internet has zillions of FREE wave samples for drums so the quality would depend on the playback engine itself. Bishop says it's good so that's enough for me.

Sounds like there are 3-4 things I’ll really dig into and see what works best. I just recorded a song the other day with Logic’s Drummer and its ok - but the process to break apart those samples so I can manipulate each drum as its own track is cumbersome and annoying to me so am hoping to find something thats easier/better.

Thanks for all the input everyone- I appreciate it!

Brian

I have GGD with the M&M, Invasion, and PIV libraries. Really love the sound and groove packs are awesome. Really easy to sit and get inspiration using them. I am thinking about getting EZ2 for the Song Creator and Tap2Find features. I've heard there are MIDI mapping templates to get the tracks over to GGD but I haven't looked too deeply at that.

I ended up going with EZ Drummer 2 and a couple of expansion packs (Big Rock and Nashville) - Sweetwater had it for $149 and the expansion packs were $79 each but they have a bundle deal for $249. What was cool is that they let me build my own bundle. Those two packs weren't listed on the site together but they put them together for me and gave me the bundle deal. They've always given me excellent customer service which is really a reason I'll stay with a company. Joshua Carpenter is my sales rep, look him up if you need something and don't have someone you work with already there!

TBH the Logic drummers and kits are pretty dang good, especially for demo/writing/jamming purposes.
I agree - I've used them up to this point and was just looking for a little more flexibility, or maybe an easier way to really dig into the separate pieces of the kit. Sound wise though, they are very good!

You will be surprised how far EZ Drummer will take you. I have BFD, some other name brand I can't even remember right now, Superior Drummer 2, Superior Drummer 3 and EZ Drummer. We consistently wind up using EZ Drummer in the final mix. For the sound. What is also cool in SD3 you can load and play EZ Drummer inside of it. So I can mix kits if I need a different snare or bass drum but still be using EZD.

You can buy the MIDI packs in a 6-Pack. Hit up Sweetwater for 'best price' and load up 6 at a time.

You will be surprised how far EZ Drummer will take you. I have BFD, some other name brand I can't even remember right now, Superior Drummer 2, Superior Drummer 3 and EZ Drummer. We consistently wind up using EZ Drummer in the final mix. For the sound. What is also cool in SD3 you can load and play EZ Drummer inside of it. So I can mix kits if I need a different snare or bass drum but still be using EZD.

You can buy the MIDI packs in a 6-Pack. Hit up Sweetwater for 'best price' and load up 6 at a time.
I'm blown away - I had a song that I had put Logic drums in. Today I loaded up EZ Drummer for the first time and in 45 minutes had the drums completely redone in the song and they're awesome, Totally sound like a real drummer and it was SOOO easy. Most of the time was spent just listening to different samples and determining how I wanted the song to go...but the learning curve on the program is almost 0 if you have any experience with drums. Very glad I went with it.

I like that idea of the 6 pack - will definitely ask them if there comes a time when I need that!

Just a short question: can you import a MIDI file to EZ Drummer 2?
I usually write my drum parts in guitar pro and it would make my workflow way easier.

I usually write my drum parts in guitar pro and it would make my workflow way easier.
Not sure about this one - but maybe someone else in the thread can help? I've not had that need so haven't tried.

Seems like it should be possible ...
I'll maybe buy it tonight. I just can't decide on the two expansion kits in the bundle. The death metal for sure, but the second one ...

Yes, you can have your own midi files or 3rd party midi files show up in the groove browser.

Back
Top Bottom