Fade in or out without expression pedal?

Neill00

Inspired
Is there anyway to do this? I've tried messing around with the controllers on a Volume Block but I haven't been able to get there. The idea is that when I assign the volume block to a foot switch, when I activate the footswitch it starts at zero volume and depending on how I set the timing as I play the volume fades in until it reaches 100%. It would be cool if by deactivating the footswitch it just did the effect in reverse ... but I'd also be happy to be able to set up the reverse on another footswitch or on the "hold" of the same footswitch so that the volume fades out at the end of the song. If there is no current way to do this it doesn't seem like a huge challenge to add this to the volume block as opposed to just "Volume" and "Autoswell", add "Fade" with the following parameters "Start Volume" 0-100%, "Finish Volume" 0-100% and "Duration" 0-20 seconds (or whatever value is feasible). I will add this in the wish list if there isn't already a way to do this. I am finding that I can do most of what I want to do without an expression pedal and I'm finding I actually prefer not to use one but to just assign things to a footswitch and set the timing up so that it's always perfect. One less thing to drag around.

Assign a control switch to the volume parameter of a volume block and turn the damping parameters in the modifier way up. Attack controls the damping when the value is going up. Release controls it when it's going down. Those will slow the value change, so instead of jumping from 0% to 100% or vice versa when you hit the switch, it will slowly slide between them.

Thank you mr_fender. I have had some success in getting either the fade in or the fade out to work. But I can’t seem to get both to work on the same preset. That said, I don’t think I have exhausted everything. I just use the attack and leave the release at zero once the fade in happens it stays there until I turn off the foot switch. To get the fade out, I just reverse the “start” and “end” setting the “start” to 100% and the “end” to 0%. I’m using and RJM Mastermind GT10 as my controller so I used external controller 16 instead of a control switch. Weirdly enough it seems to be the only external controller that will perform this function is external controller 16. I understand that external controllers 1 to 4 are for expression pedals I would have thought that if 16 works, 5 to 15 would also work. So for this reason, I can’t set up a separate volume block for the fade out as I have no way to activate the controller.

Cool idea...maybe an external switch, tap to fade out........hold to fade in...... I just use a pedal though.

The external controllers are not hard-set on the Axe-III. You have to assign them in Setup->Midi/Remote->External. It sounds like something isn't mapped properly.

Turn both the Attack and Release times up in the modifier to get both fade in and fade out. The names can be misleading. They're not attack and release in the sense of an envelope or trigger. They're just separate controls it uses depending on which direction the value is moving in the modifier. If it's going up in value (like a fade in), it uses the attack setting. If it's going down in value (like a fade out), it uses the release setting. Upward Damping and Downward Damping would be more fitting names. In the Axe FX II, they were a single parameter called Damping and you didn't have separate options for upward and downward changes.

Last edited:
Turn both the Attack and Release times up in the modifier to get both fade in and fade out. The names can be misleading. They're not attack and release in the sense of an envelope or trigger. They're just separate controls it uses depending on which direction the value is moving in the modifier. If it's going up in value (like a fade in), it uses the attack setting. If it's going down in value (like a fade out), it uses the release setting. Upward Damping and Downward Damping would be more fitting names.

Yes it kind of worked this way I’ll have to mess with it a bit more. Are you saying that the release will only kick in once I turn off the footswitch so that if I get the timing on the fade out correct I can fade in by turning on the switch and then fade out by turning it off? Thanks again for the input.

The external controllers are not hard-set on the Axe-III. You have to assign them in Setup->Midi/Remote->External. It sounds like something isn't mapped properly.

Ok I see this could be the problem... if this works then I can go ahead and either use the solution mr_fender suggested or I can assign to different volume block with another external controller. Thanks for the help

Yes it kind of worked this way I’ll have to mess with it a bit more. Are you saying that the release will only kick in once I turn off the footswitch so that if I get the timing on the fade out correct I can fade in by turning on the switch and then fade out by turning it off? Thanks again for the input.
Yes. When you hit the switch and the volume goes from 0% up to 100% it uses the attack setting for the damping. When you hit it again and the volume goes from 100% down to 0% it uses the release setting for the damping. Set them to the same value if you want the same timing for both fades.

Thank you everyone for the help. I have gone with setting it up on two different switches using two volume blocks in the Axe FX just because it gives me more control over how it fades in vs fading out. I have the slopes set up in reverse and with different curves. I’m sure with more tweaking I can find a happy medium with regard to the slope allowng me to use just one volume block and then tweaking the timing of the attack and release as per mr_fender’s method to achieve the same thing. I am going to keep working on it until I perfect it. There is another plus side in using two switches and two volume blocks. If I have a song in the future that just needs the fade out I can just copy and paste the one footswitch on the RJM and the one volume block on the Axe FX III and I won’t have to fade in just to use the fade out. Having said all that, after working through this process, I think my idea above of adding this specific feature to the Axe FX Volume block needs to be expanded just a bit to include Linear and the Logarithms LOG5A to LOG30.

Part of the issue is the way the damping is applied to the value changes. It uses what appears to be a more reverse logarithmic looking sweep in the way it slides between values. It starts off moving faster and then slows down the closer it gets to the target value. It would be really nice to have the option of a more linear sweep for the damping so it could use a steady speed as it slides from one value to another.

Wish list time.

It can do that ... But it takes messing with the start, mid and end times along with the slope, scale and offset. That’s why I opted for using the two volume blocks. The first pic is my fade in values and the second is my fade out values in the controller of the volume blocks.
1593887661444.jpeg

1593887711164.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom