Factory vs. Created/Shared Presets

Newb question here. The Axe-Fx II XL user manual says there are 384 presets that come with the Axe-Fx II XL. For now, I'd like to keep all the given 384 presets without modifying them. But I also want to create some of my own presets add some presets from Axe Change. If I want to keep the given 384 presets untouched, should I use presets 385-768 to store those presets that I create or that I retrieve from Axe Change?

Just wondering how other users' approach this. Recommendations?

Not to knock the factory presets, some are quite good, but there are plenty that you will know within 5 seconds that you'll never use them.

At worst, you can reload them all in literally about 20 seconds via Fractal Bot

Not to knock the factory presets, some are quite good, but there are plenty that you will know within 5 seconds that you'll never use them.

At worst, you can reload them all in literally about 20 seconds via Fractal Bot

Yep. I only use the first 100 or so as baseline to tweak, really.

I leave the first 100 slots empty for my use. Then I load Yeks clean/dirty FW18 presets in starting at 100 which sound GREAT and are also wonderful starting points for building my own presets. Then I load in the factory Axe FX 2 XL presets starting at 300 which are nice to have.

I use the Tools - Manage Presets function in the most recent Axe Edit to do all this.

The factory presets in Bank A are OK-for most mortal guitar players, especially after some tweaking for your own guitars, setup, etc.. That's not to say there aren't any in B & C-there are., just have to hunt for them.

From what I understand (I wouldn't know from experience) except for Hi gain-which evidently do not please many Hi gain folks. That 's how it seems and I read here almost everyday since 2009. Could just be the way I perceive it also.

I always have moved Factory Bank A to Bank D. I use Bank A for my own presets. I leave Factory B & C in B & C since I don't need hundreds of presets.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I now have a better idea of how I want to proceed.

Moving factories above bank C is especially useful given that the MFC can only access A, B, and C, so if you have your own presets in anything higher than that, they won't be accessible from the foot controller.

Good point, Cooper. Will keep that in mind as I move presets around to make room for what I want to access via the MFC-101.

Just keep in mind, if you're using MFC-101 Mark I or II, you can only access Banks 0 through 384 with the MFC.

If you're playing live, it's helpful to put the banks with the presets you use regularly into these first three banks, so you can access them with the MFC.

If you're playing on the laptop, desktop, or just spinning the front panel selection knob, this is a non-issue.

With an MFC 101 Mk III, I'm pretty sure it can be set to access all of the Banks and Presets.

I use a Mk I, and this is a non-issue for me, as I only plan on using Presets that are in the first three banks when playing out. In fact, I have my MFC set to loop back to the first preset, once it hits preset #60; i.e. I only access the first 60-presets using the MFC. If I want to go higher than that, I spin the knob on the front panel. just mentioning this in case it matters to you for your setup.

Similar theory to some of the above. I keep A for presets I am utilizing. The known good stuff. I use B/C/D for Factory presets. I use E for working stuff up, importing other users, tone matches, experiments, variations until it is known good. I use F for Acoustic & Bass stuff.

Back
Top Bottom