Factory Presets

Bulldog50

Inspired
Is there a way on AXE Edit that can tell me which version of the Factory Presets I have installed? The latest Presets download I am showing in my File Explorer on my PC shows a download in 2021, but I see here on the forum, there was a new version of Factory Presets posted in Mar of 2022. I don't know how I would have missed that, but obviously I do not want to load presets if I already have them installed and they are configured on my AXE FX III. I can see which firmware version I have on AXE-Edit, but nothing about the date of the preset. Thanks for any help.

The 2022 file is the current one. Install the all-banks file and let it overwrite banks A-C.

I don’t remember the exact reason we touched the presets, but it was the result of something pretty major in the firmware. We haven’t done anything for the FX3 factory presets since.

The 2022 file is the current one. Install the all-banks file and let it overwrite banks A-C.

I don’t remember the exact reason we touched the presets, but it was the result of something pretty major in the firmware. We haven’t done anything for the FX3 factory presets since.
I think it was the jump from Ares to Cygnus.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw that DallasGlenn2005 noted that! Hate it when that happens... :D

Thx for replying but not exactly what I asked. I wanted to know if there is a way to know what version of the factory presets I have, some like knowing which firmware version I have which can be seen on AXE Eidit? Thx.

Thx for replying but not exactly what I asked. I wanted to know if there is a way to know what version of the factory presets I have, some like knowing which firmware version I have which can be seen on AXE Eidit? Thx.
I don't think there's a way to do what you're asking.

However, I  think there were a few new or renamed presets with the latest version of updated presets. There's a thread for that, it may have some clues to help you.

You may only learn if you're using the latest presets or some earlier version.

Or, if you're the only owner of your Axe-FX (bought it new), you may be able to determine what version of presets were factory-installed at the time.

It sounds like maybe you're just curious. If so, this may not matter in a practical way. Know the firmware version does.

However, I  think there were a few new or renamed presets with the latest version of updated presets. There's a thread for that, it may have some clues to help you.

Or, if you're the only owner of your Axe-FX (bought it new), you may be able to determine what version of presets were factory-installed at the time.

It sounds like maybe you're just curious. If so, this may not matter in a practical way. Know the firmware version does.
FWIW: I never edit factory presets in-place; I only make changes to copies. That way, when factory presets are updated, I don't have to worry about overwriting tailored presets.

Yes, some of the presets were renamed so just open the current preset batch in Preset Manager and compare to names of what's on the unit. A quicker way may be to look for a preset called CronoEcho. This was initially a bonus offering that Mr. Day (?) posted and was then included in the factory presets with the last update.

There is no way. Presets don’t have versions. Just load the current set and you’ll know you have the latest ones. It’s a reasonably fast process to install them and doesn’t affect anything in the system besides overwriting the existing banks A-C.

I’ve done it many times as part of testing this or that.

FWIW: I never edit factory presets in-place; I only make changes to copies. That way, when factory presets are updated, I don't have to worry about overwriting tailored presets.
Thanks for that tip. I don't have too much space for copies as I have bought some presets from Austin Buddy and maybe one other guy. I don't have the AXE turbo so my slots are limited for making too many copies. Nothing I have is too critical. Maybe I'll just install the new ones. First world problem.

Yes, some of the presets were renamed so just open the current preset batch in Preset Manager and compare to names of what's on the unit. A quicker way may be to look for a preset called CronoEcho. This was initially a bonus offering that Mr. Day (?) posted and was then included in the factory presets with the last update.
Great. Thanks for the reply!

Great. Thanks for the reply!
Totally forgot that some presets have different names on different platforms. "CronoEcho" is FM3. The III verson is called "Double Diffusor"; it will be #65 in Bank B (so add 128 to get #193 with all banks loaded, actually probably 192 since starting from 000) unless you moved things around. You can also look through the current presets on the Wiki to compare.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets#Axe-Fx_III_-_FM3_-_FM9

Last edited:
Totally forgot that some presets have different names on different platforms. "CronoEcho" is FM3. The III verson is called "Double Diffusor"; it will be #65 in Bank B (so add 128 to get #193 with all banks loaded, actually probably 192 since starting from 000) unless you moved things around. You can also look through the current presets on the Wiki to compare.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets#Axe-Fx_III_-_FM3_-_FM9
Thank you so much for that. The wiki seems like the easiest place to do this. Thx again!

Thank you so much for that. The wiki seems like the easiest place to do this. Thx again!
So I did what you recommended as far as comparing the wiki to my factory presets, but I am noticing that the presets in the Wiki start at Number 001, but for some reason, mine start at number 000, which means all of my factory presets differ from the Wiki by one number. For instance EJ Clean on my system is number 95 and on the Wiki it is number 096. Would you happen to know why my machine starts ot 000 instead of 001? Thanks for you time and continued help. Other than that, all is well.

So I did what you recommended as far as comparing the wiki to my factory presets, but I am noticing that the presets in the Wiki start at Number 001, but for some reason, mine start at number 000, which means all of my factory presets differ from the Wiki by one number. For instance EJ Clean on my system is number 95 and on the Wiki it is number 096. Would you happen to know why my machine starts ot 000 instead of 001? Thanks for you time and continued help. Other than that, all is well.
That's because you told your unit to start at 0-based, and the Wiki is using the same numbers as if you'd said to use 1-based.

Look at Settings > Config > General > Display Offset. This is in the manual in the Global Settings pages under Config.

That's because you told your unit to start at 0-based, and the Wiki is using the same numbers as if you'd said to use 1-based.

Look at Settings > Config > General > Display Offset.
Gotcha. I think I may have used Cooper Carter recommended settings sometime in the past, and that may be the reason, or maybe that is the default setting. Thx for clearing up that mystery! I gather you know quite a bit about this stuff. Thx again!

Yep, Greg answered you already but starting at 000 can throw you off unless you're used to it. FAS has you covered with the offset though. The offset makes it nice to have the bank ranges end in multiples of three.

Back
Top Bottom