Factory Cab #8 1X12 E12L (RW) - Did this change somehow in FW10?

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
Since I first bought my II I've been using Factory Cab #8 [1X12 E12L (RW)] because of all the EV12L IRs I've tried over the years (and I've tried a lot of them) this one seemed to sound the closest to my real EVM12L-equipped open backed cabs.

But since loading in the version 10 FW and resetting the Amp Blocks of my Presets (and re-tweaking them) that same cab sim is not giving me the same type of results I was getting before.
It seems to have more bass than it used to and the top end seems harsher too.

Of course it's possible, likely even, that I'm screwing something up, and I've only been working with version 10 for about an hour now.
But has anyone else noticed anything similar to this, either with this cab or any of the others?

Any ideas for what else it could be?

I remixed it. I thought is was too boxy sounding. If I get some time I'll post the old mix.

Gee. Thanks Cliff.

FWIW
IMO It sounded much better before FW10.
I have Yamaha HS80M's now and when I A/B my real EV 1X12 open-back cab (via Out 2 sans Cab Block) with the HS80M's (with version 9.02's Factory #8 reloaded back in in the active Cab Block via Out 1) they sound, and more importantly feel, very very similar.
With FW 10.0 they sound markedly different.

Is this one of the commercially available RW EVM12L IRs?
If so, then which one exactly please?

I own the old (discontinued?) Speakerbox EVM12L set of IRs as well as the Bigbox HalfbackTopO_EV12L set and the MarkIIC_EV12L set.
Is this one of the Speakerbox IRs taken with the KM84?
If so, which one exactly please?
If so, had you done any post processing to it before releasing it in the original AxeII firmware, or is it just a stock RW IR?

Also...
Can anybody tell me why the AxeII Wiki entry for this cab ["1X12 EVL (RW)"] says "speaker without a cabinet"?
I've heard 12Ls when they're not mounted in a cab and it's not very musical sounding.
FWIW
The original description that RW had on their web site for the Speakerbox series was a mahogany 1 X 12" open-back cab.
That's what this IR sounded like to me.

So I was going to wait to shoot my own IR of my actual cab until after I got a hold of an Earthworks TC30 ref mic because my goal is to try to reproduce the sound of my cab in the room (as much as is possible) rather than a mic'd up cab and all I have around the house is an SM57.

But I just caved and did one using the 57 anyway.
And I have to say, it seems to sound real good to me, for my purposes of course.
Only time will tell if this will work out.

Here's the IR if anybody else is interested in trying it out.
View attachment MyEV57.syx

It's a 1X12" open-back Pearce combo amp cabinet with an EVM12L Classic (new series) in it.
It's a bit oversized compared to a Mesa MK Series combo cab or a Deluxe and actually has a port on the front for when it's used in a closed-back config with the optional screw-in back-board.
It also has a 2-space rack on top where my Pearce G2r is situated, which adds some mass.
The driver sits a bit off centre on the baffle.
It's my favourite sounding open-back 1X12" cab.
It was mic'd with an SM57 at the Cap-Edge position, on axis, at the speaker baffle.
Power amp was a Bryston 2B LP Pro.
Mic preamp was an old Tascam M-30 analog mixer (the weakest link in the chain).

FWIW
That didn't last long. lol
I'm back to using the file that cliff posted for me, i.e. the original IR from Factory #8.

Back
Top Bottom