Factory Banks can OVERWRITE ALL YOUR CURRENT PRESETS - Please Read

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
Just a warning everyone! If you use Fractal-Bot to directly install Factory Bank files, you can LOSE YOUR CURRENT PRESETS!!!!!

A Bank file is a group of 128 presets, so presets 1-128, 129-256, 256-384.

If you use Fractal-Bot to install a Bank file and don't read carefully, it will instantly, immediately replace any presets within those ranges. However, you can use Axe-Edit to open the banks on your computer, then view the presets and choose what you want and where you want to put them, or you can audition them before even loading them onto the Axe.

Watch this video to learn how: Axe-Manage in Axe-Edit - Axe-Fx II

Always ALWAYS backup your unit FIRST with Fractal-Bot, regardless.

Note this info about Fractal-Bot from Matt:

Fractal-Bot can safely and easily be used for bank operations too.
It asks which bank you want to overwrite, and reminds you that you will be permanently overwriting 128 presets in the destination.

Yet, if you want more fine control over what individual presets are selected and where they go, Axe-Edit is the tool for you.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is in your video but I'm at work. ( I know, no excuses haha), but for XL users who have more then just banks A-C, can I use fractal bot to import the new presets to Banks D-F instead? Or will the patch numbers written in interfere with that?

I'm assuming this is in your video but I'm at work. ( I know, no excuses haha), but for XL users who have more then just banks A-C, can I use fractal bot to import the new presets to Banks D-F instead? Or will the patch numbers written in interfere with that?

i don't have an XL, so i'm not sure if Bot allows you to choose what bank to put it in. i'm guessing it might, though.

still i just recommend using Axe-Edit to put the presets where you want :) one of those blanket statements to avoid trouble!

EDIT-

someone said: "This way I can point the FractalBot installer to banks D/E/F without the "oops" of overwriting my presets. "

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-ii-firmware-18-03-presets-2.html#post1171804

so i'm guessing you can do that. one day i'll have the latest and greatest XL :) till then, i'm clueless :p

I just used the Axe-manage thing in Axe-Edit last night to import a whole bunch of presets into bank F, it did seem like the safest way.

thanks for the tip matt!

just wanted people to slow down and not just blindly/quickly load all the new stuff then wonder where their presets went.

you know how people just quickly click past any pop-ups that Bot may provide :)

i will append my posts and articles with the information you just shared!

It asks which bank you want to overwrite, and reminds you that you will be permanently overwriting 128 presets in the destination.

Hi M@ - I am thinking there might be some advantage to having both the old and new presets loaded in the XL for back and forth comparison and tweaking purposes. :geek

Prior to overwriting our existing present banks A, B and C with Fractal-Bot, how can we batch move them from A=>D, B=>E, and C=>F? :encouragement:

Or would we have to use Axe-Manage to move each individual preset. :)

I am thinking there might be some advantage to having both the old and new presets loaded in the XL for back and forth comparison and tweaking purposes. :geek

Prior to overwriting our existing present banks A, B and C with Fractal-Bot, how can we batch move them from A=>D, B=>E, and C=>F? :encouragement:

hmm, interesting point of view. i think it'd confuse most users if there were 2 copies of Factory Presets. could you describe more how it may benefit? curious.

regarding moving individual presets, while in Axe-Manage Presets, you can hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard to click and select the first preset of a range, then click the last preset of the range and you'll select a bunch of presets at once. then just move them all at the same time. make sure Auto-Audition is turned off to allow this.

So, e.g., for Bank A we would block select 1-128 as you describe and drag and drop them to target slot 385, the first slot of Bank D? Thanks Chris.

hmm, interesting point of view. i think it'd confuse most users if there were 2 copies of Factory Presets. could you describe more how it may benefit? curious.

regarding moving individual presets, while in Axe-Manage Presets, you can hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard to click and select the first preset of a range, then click the last preset of the range and you'll select a bunch of presets at once. then just move them all at the same time. make sure Auto-Audition is turned off to allow this.

Hi M@ - I am thinking there might be some advantage to having both the old and new presets loaded in the XL for back and forth comparison and tweaking purposes. :geek

EDIT: missed your question Chris - the point is: a Fractalite could quickly check on their old preset parameter settings (including but not limited to the user modified amp-cab IR pairings) by having their old user modified presets on tap and handy in the XL's higher bank slots.

This would be very useful - at least to me - when preparing to tweak the new FW 18.03 presets parameters and amp-cab IR pairings.

Last edited:
So, e.g., for Bank A we would block select 1-128 as you describe and drag and drop them to target slot 385, the first slot of Bank D? Thanks Chris.

that should do it. of course pay attention if the arrow says SWAP or MOVE and make sure you don't overwrite things you don't want to.

make sure you don't touch ANYTHING while Axe-Edit is moving those files :)

Indeed great. But given how well people here read release notes and manual ;) an extra word of caution is always good

Hey Chris,

That was great, thanks, I just learned a ton. I definitely like the Manage Cabs idea for auditioning the new factory presets! Icing on the cake here was finally learning an efficient way to audition multiple cab choices. I wont even tell you how I've been doing it to this point!:eek:ops

Chris, great video! Had no idea you could do all that with Axe-Manage. Just auditioned and loaded the new Top Boost preset!

Thanks!!!

smcrosby- Another possible solution to your batch question would be to backup all three banks (A, B & C) to your computer using Fractal-Bot and then load those files into D, E & F, still using Fractal-Bot. I think its always good to have more than one way to accomplish a task.

Cheers,

Lee

As a safety measure, I always do a back up of my banks before performing any operations that upload in bulk. Even if Fractal Bot gives you the option on where to upload to, I like the security of doing a back up first, as I've been a victim of my own premature or inaccurate clicking on more than one occasion.

I agree. Good job. Nothing worse than video tutorials that can't quit talking about themselves or make you wade thru 1 hour of crap for 5 minutes of useful info. Chris I appreciate that you get right to the point and waste no time. I learned a bunch about preset and cab maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom