Fabfilter Pro Q2, is it worth it? (Example inside)

Humidfume

Inspired
Hey guys, been working on mixing all of today and recently got the demo's of Pro Q v1 and v2. Below is a comparison of them both in action, same track, same riff etc etc. With Pro Q 2 I used the new features it has (peak grabber etc) so YES the EQ's are different in how they sound on the track because they are both EQ'd differently.

What's the point in this test then? Well I'm not testing the sonic quality of the EQ's (I'm pretty sure they sound almost identical) I'm testing the concept of:
"If I mix from scratch using just my ears with Pro Q v1 this is the outcome" vs "If I mix using my ears AND the newly added visual aids of Pro Q v2, this is the outcome".

Pro Q v2 let's you do fullscreen editing (really helps me hear things better by removing distractions and putting me in the zone for EQ'ing. I also had the peak grabber to really see when I'm missing little peaks etc that I'm not experienced enough to catch by ear alone yet.

Enjoy and share your thoughts below!

Pro Q v1 (First 13 seconds)
Pro Q v2 (13 seconds onward)

If you like what I do and wish to support me you can drop me a like / check out my EP / Music on the links below.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tjppo
Bandcamp: https://tjpp.bandcamp.com

-Joe

I could not notice much, but maybe the second on sounds a bit fuller???
How do you like the fabfilter stuff? I have been thinking about buying some of there stuff, but i'm hesitant seeing as so far the only plugin that I have purchased has been melodyne. Everything else ive been using is either DAW plugs or free ones i've downloaded. I just dont want to blow a bunch of money on plugins that I might not use.

Hey Shnaggs! personally I find their stuff absolutely top notch, I got turned onto them recently by a friend of mine and everytime I needed to Compress or EQ I swapped over to the Fabfilter stuff (from my Waves plugins) and evnded up replacing the Waves nonstop. I personally feel that the Fabfilter stuff is the best I have used to date for EQ and Compression. There may be better compressors out there but in terms of EQ.. Fabfilter can't be touched imo. Let me know if you want to take the dive and I'll refer you (I believe it gives you 10% off to us both).

With regards to the mix, it's subtle here, we're talking 1%'s it's still better at the end right? slightly tighter, slightly fuller, slightly clearer.. whatever it is, it's slightly better. Which therefore makes it worth it to me considering this is only 10 minutes of playing with it! :D

If a plugin can take my ears, old habits and new approaches and make it sound better than my other plugins (whether that's soncially, workflow or approach / mindset, then it wins for me. And the Pro Q 2 is incredible for making you think about EQ'ing in a way that allows you to focus your ears and not your eyes!

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely interested in getting new plugins. I am still a newb when it comes to mixing and mastering, so I am a bit reluctant in paying good money for plugins that "will probably" make my mixes sound better. but with my lack of knowledge is it going to be useful? IDK, I need to save up funds to buy some plugins. If and when I do, I am defs looking to fabfilter, and probs waves, and maybe slate. Just seems like a huge can of worms. So hard to know which plugins are worth it, with so many out there. I appreciate your incite and your willingness to help me out!
When I get my cash flow up I will PM you.
Thanks again!

Hey Shnaggs! personally I find their stuff absolutely top notch, I got turned onto them recently by a friend of mine and everytime I needed to Compress or EQ I swapped over to the Fabfilter stuff (from my Waves plugins) and evnded up replacing the Waves nonstop. I personally feel that the Fabfilter stuff is the best I have used to date for EQ and Compression. There may be better compressors out there but in terms of EQ.. Fabfilter can't be touched imo. Let me know if you want to take the dive and I'll refer you (I believe it gives you 10% off to us both).

With regards to the mix, it's subtle here, we're talking 1%'s it's still better at the end right? slightly tighter, slightly fuller, slightly clearer.. whatever it is, it's slightly better. Which therefore makes it worth it to me considering this is only 10 minutes of playing with it! :D

If a plugin can take my ears, old habits and new approaches and make it sound better than my other plugins (whether that's soncially, workflow or approach / mindset, then it wins for me. And the Pro Q 2 is incredible for making you think about EQ'ing in a way that allows you to focus your ears and not your eyes!

Really like the look of this interface and the options you have for adjusting workflow. To me, a lot what makes a good eq is just that, the workflow. There are plenty of eqs that sound good, but they dont offer the ease of use or flexibility that really allows you to get that extra 1%.

Honestly. Buy Slate VTM, VBC, VCC, FGX or whatever it's called alongside the Pro Q 2. That's pretty much all I use.

I know a guy who runs a music shop selling plugins etc. when I get home from work I'll pass on the info. Let him know Joseph Parry sent you and you'll get really decent deals.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom