F12-x200 - thiele or celestion design? Who's tried both?

Are you guys still using IR with the real cabs or just amp modeling? I've found the x200 still has the cab feel using different IR compared to frfr or studio monitors.

Are you guys still using IR with the real cabs or just amp modeling? I've found the x200 still has the cab feel using different IR compared to frfr or studio monitors.
I use the cab block and IR's with the cabs loaded with the F12-X200's - those work well and you can really get a good AITM feel when messing with the pre-amp block in the Amp and the Speaker Impedience curve stuff.

For the cabs loaded with non X200 speakers (i.e. V30's) I just use the amp modeling - I've tried a few IR's and they sound like a blanket overtop with cab sims and the v30's. I'd like to try an IR for a real cab I have and see if that does any specialness to it.

Yes the X200 is designed for use with IR’s. You probably should. Otherwise if I recall you get that awful thin and crispy sound.

With a genuine guitar speaker and cab I use no IR. Only the amp sim. It sounded so good (when I switched to Fractal) that I was finally cool with selling my favorite tube amps and not feeling remorse. When I’m rich I will buy tube amps for when I really wanna, but my Axe3 is so close to genuine to me I was amazed a/bing before I sold my sweet Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier.

Something interesting to consider too—there are “clean” guitar speakers out there that can function well with IRs in the chain. Look at the Valvetrain Powertrain. That is a solution I almost went to that is a tube power amp and 1x12 cab combo and it’s using a guitar speaker that’s supposed to have a somewhat flat profile in comparison to what you’d expect. I still want to try it some day. Some like that with IRs, others I believe just do it like any other guitar can and leave the IR off.

It boils down to trying it and seeing what you get.

Back
Top Bottom