F12-X200 Full Range Live Response Speaker

Robberns

So I'll start this by saying I am still pretty much a tube amp through a guitar cab kind of guy. Currently a Suhr PT15 (non-IR) through a Mesa 2 x 12 Vertical cab with WGS speakers and a Boss GT1000-CORE in the effects loop (4CM).
I've been through the Line 6 Helix Floor, HX Effects, and still have an HX Stomp. The FM3 was really an experiment for me, and the fact that I still have it after a year (and an FC12) says something about how I think it sounds.
I've tried FRFR powered cabinets/PA speakers and never really though they sounded enough like a guitar amp through a cabinet. So I figured I'd try the Celestion F12-X200 with my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200. I saw the Celestion plans for a 1 x 12 cabinet online and figured I'd get something already built that came close to their design. I found it in a Friedman 112 Vintage cabinet. Put the Celestion F12 in it, added some batting and away I went.
Sounds really good IMHO, the closest yet to a real amp/cab sound and feel. A few of the cab models need some minor tweaking to my ears but this is a really good sounding rig.
Just thought I'd share my findings with other FM3 users.
Rock on!

Pretty close dimensionally and they look GREAT 👍 Seems like a good alternative to DIY if you can afford it or don't have the tools,skills, or time.

Once you swap speakers cost about $850 a cab right? I guess you could recoup $100 selling the creamback. So let's say $750 a cab. $3000 for 4 cabs.

First two loaded cabs with a power amp cost me $650. My next two will cost about $450-$500 depending on lumber. So that's 4 loaded cabs and a power amp that can drive all four. $1150 total

This is the only "wifey approved" way I can make this happen.....and I'm still working on selling the idea of cabs #3 & #4 to her. 🤣😂🤣

Those Friedman are really nice cabs tho compared to my DIYers. Lol

A conversation that never happened, and will never happen:

"Man, that first band was so much better than the 2nd one."
"WHAT? Are you crazy? How can you say that?"
"Because their speaker cabs looked so much better!"

Haha!!

I have a ratty ass 2 x 12 semi-open back cab that my friend built in the early 90s, and
I used it live (and still have it) up until about 2018. I took a lot of flak for how beat
and abused it was from bandmates. Didn't care. :)

Same here. I used to own an old Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. The previous owner had the front grill re-done with this ugly-assed b&w tiger stripes, the Marshall logo was broke, and it was all beat to hell, no casters, but it sounded great! And my bandmates used to give me hell because he had also removed (long gone, he said) the side-inset handles, cuz that's where they (previous guy) kept their beer, he said.

So there's another advantage to building them yourself: you don't have to worry about taking care of them. Long as they sound good...

I have just made myself a Palmer cab with a F12 speaker and it seems a little boomy to me - and it must be said that I have only had time to test it a little bit. I was wondering if you guys have some advice about batting - as I have no clue ;-) do I cover the whole inside or what. And is it better to make the open back smaller - it’s about a third of the back now.

Cheers
Søren

I have just made myself a Palmer cab with a F12 speaker and it seems a little boomy to me - and it must be said that I have only had time to test it a little bit. I was wondering if you guys have some advice about batting - as I have no clue ;-) do I cover the whole inside or what. And is it better to make the open back smaller - it’s about a third of the back now.

Cheers
Søren
Not sure what to do on an open back other than pull it away from the wall and isolate it if it's on a hardwood floor. You can try messing with the low resonance frequency in the amp block. I've got mine set to the speaker spec at 75 which seems to work for the spec cab. Here's a video that shows how to find the low res freq for a cab.

Last edited:
Not sure what to do on an open back other than pull it away from the wall and isolate it if it's on a hardwood floor. You can try messing with the low resonance frequency in the amp block. I've got mine set to the speaker spec at 75 which seems to work for the spec cab. Here's a video that shows how to find the low res freq for a cab.

I’ll try messing with the low res freq……thanks for your reply.

cheers
Søren

I built a couple of the Celestion spec cabinets with the F12-X200 and they're great. It's a surprisingly detailed speaker and works really well for acoustic/nylon work as well. The ported cab has plenty of bottom end and doesn't seem boomy although I tend to roll off a bit below 100hz anyway to sit in the mix a bit better.

The cab's a fairly easy build too. I adjusted the dimensions slightly so it'd be rack box width and then adjusted the depth to keep the same volume. I also did a square port at (I think) about 90mmx90mm (same cross-sectional area as the round port in the plans). That was just to avoid yet another trip to the hardware store just for pipe. Even if you're not DIY inclined it's a simple build, assuming you can get the timber cut to size although no hardware store is going to do the baffle cut-outs for you (really does need a jigsaw or router). Batting - I covered 3 internal sides (back/side/bottom) which seems to work well to stop too much internal reflection without going completely dead. Not sure where I got that advice from. A couple of coats of Duratex paint to finish also which is ridiculously easy to use for a great result. Then plastic corners and some inexpensive grille cloth to finish.

Side note - I don't think Celestion's own picture of the finished cab is great publicity for DIY purposes. Even just same filing/sanding of the edges and it would look a lot more finished and still be DIY friendly.

boxen2.jpgboxen1.jpg

I built a couple of the Celestion spec cabinets with the F12-X200 and they're great. It's a surprisingly detailed speaker and works really well for acoustic/nylon work as well. The ported cab has plenty of bottom end and doesn't seem boomy although I tend to roll off a bit below 100hz anyway to sit in the mix a bit better.

The cab's a fairly easy build too. I adjusted the dimensions slightly so it'd be rack box width and then adjusted the depth to keep the same volume. I also did a square port at (I think) about 90mmx90mm (same cross-sectional area as the round port in the plans). That was just to avoid yet another trip to the hardware store just for pipe. Even if you're not DIY inclined it's a simple build, assuming you can get the timber cut to size although no hardware store is going to do the baffle cut-outs for you (really does need a jigsaw or router). Batting - I covered 3 internal sides (back/side/bottom) which seems to work well to stop too much internal reflection without going completely dead. Not sure where I got that advice from. A couple of coats of Duratex paint to finish also which is ridiculously easy to use for a great result. Then plastic corners and some inexpensive grille cloth to finish.

Side note - I don't think Celestion's own picture of the finished cab is great publicity for DIY purposes. Even just same filing/sanding of the edges and it would look a lot more finished and still be DIY friendly.

View attachment 87516View attachment 87517
Those look GREAT!! I used Exohyde which I believe is pretty much the same type of product...super easy.

Back
Top Bottom