Extra small but still decent monitors?

Anyone have monitors/speakers they'd recommend for an extra compact AFX & laptop travel practice rig? I know headphones are going to be the best option for that sort of situation, but I've got those sorted, and would like something to use for situations when headphones aren't necessary.
I have a set of these Mackie CR3s that I paid $69 new and they sound great... they are very compact and light. They can get very loud if you want them too and sound great loud or whisper quiet.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Ac...LMxYFVgP8XLGWESmyLYaAtScEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
750-CR3X_detail2.jpg.auto.webp

True yeah. I have the iLoud micros which I think are cool. But if I was doing a lot of hotel traveling, one genelec 8010A speaker could be cool to try

Nice thing with the Genelecs is they are really durable in addition to being small. They are I believe cast aluminum and both the woofer and tweeter are covered by grills.

I have the 8020's right now and about a month ago I had a bookshelf mounted on the wall that fell down and crashed down onto my desk, right onto my monitor speakers. Lots of heavy books and broken glass. I cleaned everything up and the only damage was some scuffs to the Genelecs. Then I took a damp rag and wiped them clean and they looked brand new again. Seriously impressive.

So I bought one just for fun, to use with Fm3 when I don't want to power on the full rig.
OMG this thing sounds so huge, I don't think I even want big FRFR monitor at home any more. For $200 it was a steal and I am not ashamed!!

They are true gem's for sure. Every time i look at them on my desk I'm amazed at the sound that comes out of them.

I ended up going the opposite way a couple weeks ago and jumped into the big Yamaha HS8's. They are huge and I had to put them on stands off the desk but now the sound is a lot bigger. Genelecs are still good speakers especially for the use case you describe.

Honestly I'm playing through the little $100 Bose Companion desktop speakers and they are not bad for guitar. I don't think they make sense if you dropped $2000 on an Axe FX 3 but if you had a little portable modeler or were just playing through plugins they would be good for travel.

I'm a very new Fx-III owner. I recently bought a pair of the KRK GoAux 4 monitors to use with it and have been happy with those. Others have mentioned the GoAux 3s. It's important to note that unlike the GoAux 4, the 3 does NOT have the 1/4" balanced inputs...which is one of the reasons I didn't go with those.

Tom

I ended up going the opposite way a couple weeks ago and jumped into the big Yamaha HS8's. They are huge and I had to put them on stands off the desk but now the sound is a lot bigger. Genelecs are still good speakers especially for the use case you describe.

Honestly I'm playing through the little $100 Bose Companion desktop speakers and they are not bad for guitar. I don't think they make sense if you dropped $2000 on an Axe FX 3 but if you had a little portable modeler or were just playing through plugins they would be good for travel.
How does the sound compare to the Genelecs?

How does the sound compare to the Genelecs?

Yamaha HS8 - very full range, from deep lows all the way to the very top end. They are quite "present" speakers with a strong midrange and high end. You probably need to roll off more high end and maybe the very low end than with other speakers. I find these are like good headphones, differences in the tone of the guitar really come through, like different amps or cabs or EQ. That can be good to hear the details but it can be distracting if you just want to plug in and play. But at low volumes if you roll off the highs you can get it to sound closer to an actual amp.

Genelec 8020 - strong midrange, maybe a little more even in the mids than the Yamaha, but nowhere near as full in the lows or crisp in the highs. They can sound a bit dull and boxy, and the low end gets exaggerated in a bad way as it approaches the limits of the speaker and the port frequency. For guitar it kind of muddies up the sounds in the highs that makes different amps sound unique. I can't hear as much of the detail with these. And with the small size it's not similar at all to the vibe of an amp even at low volumes.

Bose Companion - not really in the same league as the others sonically. They can't reproduce the high end at all but are decent in the midrange. They seem to be built to get as much low end out of the little speakers as possible. All that is bad for listening to music but for playing guitar it's actually kind of good because it's a little closer to an actual guitar speaker. It reminds me of the Yamaha THR10 amp where you can get a surprisingly big sound out of a small speaker.

So yeah, the Bose speakers aren't amazing for all around use, and I see they raised the price from $100 to $150 which might make them overpriced. But for the specific use case of playing guitar while traveling in a hotel, they aren't a bad choice.

If I could go back in time before I spent a bunch of money on monitors, I'd probably spring for the Yamaha HS8's or HS7's first. And if I needed a small monitor for an alternate mix or sound, I'd probably try and settle on the iLoud Micros or something. The rabbit hole of trying to find really good but really small monitors didn't work out for me.

Back
Top Bottom