External Switch Help

Fro

Experienced
This is my first attempt at using an external switch, and I'm running into user error. I'm trying to set up an external switch to turn an effect on/off. I'm using a Boss FS-5U Non-Latching switch. I have it set to Momentary in the I/O Pedal menu, and I'm assigning it to the effect bypass in the I/O Ctrl menu. It does run the effect on and off, but sometimes I need to hit the pedal twice when I select the patch. I expect this behavior from a latching pedal, not a non-latching pedal. For fun I tried a latching pedal, and it does the same thing. I've also tried all the settings in the I/O Pedal tab. I've tried searching to forum and the manual. I know I'm missing something basic, what is it? Any other approach to turning an effect on/off with an external switch?

Thanks.

So even a momentary switch, which is always "off" in it's natural state, will sometimes be seen as "on". I'm not sure I see what the difference is then between using a momentary vs a latching switch.

this all depends on the effect state in the preset, if it is on or off will determine if you need to double tap the switch or not. I suggest using the factory switches for this type of toggle. use your external foot switch for momentary work it will function fine set up as a continuous controller.

This is my first attempt at using an external switch, and I'm running into user error. I'm trying to set up an external switch to turn an effect on/off. I'm using a Boss FS-5U Non-Latching switch. I have it set to Momentary in the I/O Pedal menu, and I'm assigning it to the effect bypass in the I/O Ctrl menu. It does run the effect on and off, but sometimes I need to hit the pedal twice when I select the patch. I expect this behavior from a latching pedal, not a non-latching pedal. For fun I tried a latching pedal, and it does the same thing. I've also tried all the settings in the I/O Pedal tab. I've tried searching to forum and the manual. I know I'm missing something basic, what is it? Any other approach to turning an effect on/off with an external switch?

Thanks.

Yes, this happens when you assign the switch to an effect, through PEDAL.

There is a workaround, using an altern. method:
  1. Set an External Controller to the PEDAL that connects to the switch.
  2. Assign the effect's Bypass Mode parameter (modifier menu > Source) to the same External.
  3. Now the external switch will control the effect's bypass state (it overrules the effect's stored state in the preset!).
AFAIK this works with momentary as well as latching switches.

Problem is that you have to execute step 2 in each preset where you want to use the switch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom