External Reverb pedal with FM3 - Recommendations

cberry

Hi All,

As I wait for my FM3 invite I was going to purchase as external reverb pedal to use with the FM3. I’m thinking about the Eventide H9 as I require a good shimmer effect but I can also use its other effects with my modded Psionic Audio Vox AC4 until I get the FM3. Would the H9 be a good versatile choice or is there something else I shouldn’t overlook? Thanks!

Craig

The H9 is a great choice with the FM3 because you can control it via MIDI from the FM3. @Larry Mitchell has been using one for years with the AX8 and I would imagine he will continue to use it with the FM3.

I'm not a huge Reverb guy, but while I wait for the FM3 I've built a full pedalboard aroud the Strymon Iridium. I can safely say that Strymon builds some fantastic FX pedals. At the same time, I personally use a Source Audio Nemesis Delay which is incredible (and feature rich) and they have a Reverb pedal as well. Full MIDI implementation, software editor, etc. Super high quality stuff IMHO and would mate perfectly with FAS audio gear if you must use something "outside of the box".
When my FM3 is here I might actually keep the Source Audio stuff I have (Nemesis Delay, Vertigo Trem) because the quality is so high, they integrate with MIDI and I could save on button usage with the FM3.

Originally I started carrying an H9 along with an overdrive pedals as full back up for my AX8. But the H9 is a powerful tool so I started using it with the AX8 in the effects loop. A great combination. Along with the way the midi block works in the Ax8 and now FM3 its an amazing combination basically you can send a different preset change to the H8 per scene. So you could use it for shimmer for one cent. Spring verb for another Scene. Chorus etc.etc. Not better or worse than the built in fractal defects. But more like an extra block in the fractal. You can also move block around per preset in the fractal units before your amp sim in one preset and after in other presets. For me the perfect match. Two amazing tools.

If I were going to augment the FM3 with anything it’d be either the H9 because of the superb quality or an HX Effects for just a bunch of variety. Both are easy to integrate and have editors.

Having said that, I haven’t even really considered adding anything to the FM3 for more effects.

Thanks everyone! Super helpful, I was mainly concerned about a shimmer effect with the FM 3 (cpu limit). The reverbs are great in the AxeFX and sound great even at lower quality. I don’t have any effects for my amp except the Psionic Audio Telos pedal. The H9 would be something I could use with that until I get an FM3 then I can use the H9 as a little extra block in the FM3 as Larry noted. I was going to get the core model as I only need a few effects. Thanks again!

The Plex Delay block in the FM3 has a great Shimmer Reverb effect in it. The same block also has a Plex Reverb effect which is more of a traditional reverb that can get super ambient if you need it. Simple channel switching between the two types works great. You could easily use all four channels in the Plex Delay block to have a "normal" amount of reverb, a big ambient reverb, a super big ambient reverb and a shimmer reverb all in one patch without ever having to use the regular Reverb block. Saves CPU and sounds fantastic.

Was there a talk that reverb lives in the Amp cpu core? Would that mean that it does not drain cpu usage much?

The Plex Delay block in the FM3 has a great Shimmer Reverb effect in it. The same block also has a Plex Reverb effect which is more of a traditional reverb that can get super ambient if you need it. Simple channel switching between the two types works great. You could easily use all four channels in the Plex Delay block to have a "normal" amount of reverb, a big ambient reverb, a super big ambient reverb and a shimmer reverb all in one patch without ever having to use the regular Reverb block. Saves CPU and sounds fantastic.

Oooooohhhhh snap!

I"m going to be using a Specular Tempus with mine. Already have the ST and it's an amazing pedal. MIDI controllable, too, so you can sync it with FM3 scenes and patches.

As an AxeII user, I generally run a room reverb all the time but I like to throw in a huge, wet reverb for effects. It really pushes the CPU on the II and with the limitations of the FM3, I wouldn't be able to do that. Offloading that effect into a separate unit will be helpful. Plus, I won't have to worry about spillover. With only one reverb block in the FM3, you can't spillover between different reverbs when switching.

Last edited:
I'll be keeping my external drive(s) and possibly my Source Audio Vertigo (Trem). Mainly because they sound GREAT and it would free up button usage. I spend a lot of time on pedalplayground where you can build a virtual pedalboard, check spacing and it seems I should have a decent amount of space on my Pedaltrain Junior for everything. But yes, eventually most of the pedals will be replaced with external switches and/or MIDI implementation.

If I were going to augment the FM3 with anything it’d be either the H9 because of the superb quality or an HX Effects for just a bunch of variety. Both are easy to integrate and have editors.

Having said that, I haven’t even really considered adding anything to the FM3 for more effects.

I'll be keeping my external drive(s) and possibly my Source Audio Vertigo (Trem). Mainly because they sound GREAT and it would free up button usage. I spend a lot of time on pedalplayground where you can build a virtual pedalboard, check spacing and it seems I should have a decent amount of space on my Pedaltrain Junior for everything. But yes, eventually most of the pedals will be replaced with external switches and/or MIDI implementation.

The FM3 worked great with all the pedals I tried. So I imagine your drives and the Vertigo will work nicely as well. I never heard of that Vertigo before - listening to Andy's demo and it sounds really nice.

I've been contemplating what pedalboard to try. I've been spending too much time on pedalplayground. The PT Jr doesn't leave enough room for two expression pedals with the FM3 and a couple switches. I'm thinking of the PT Classic 1. Actually, I'm probably going to get two of those - I want to build an add-on pedalboard with the SY-1000 for one of my bands so I can do synth stuff.

The Plex delay block is way awesome. I use it on most of my personal preset. It can do so many things. Definitely worth spending time with and getting to know as many of its possibilities as you can..

with the H9. Its not on all the time it depends on the preset and a lot of the time it might be on a spring or plate verb setting until I need an explosion of ambience and its adding to the ambience I’ve created inside the FM 3 first. :0) they are great tools that work well together.

Back
Top Bottom