External looper volume issue

addedc

Experienced
At rehearsal yesterday, I tried running an external looper through my AX8 and lost about 50% of the volume compared to running straight. The routing went like this:
- Output 1 (Mono) using a GL instrument cable to Input 1 on a Ditto looper
- Ditto looper playback volume set at various levels up to 100% (this did not affect output)
- Ditto output through a 1/4" to XLR speaker cable to Matrix FR12

Is this possibly because I am using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable for the Output 1 connection? I don't have this issue when I play through my studio monitors, which run through a small mixer.

Well, the Ditto is designed for instruments level signals while the main outputs can go up to line level. My best guess is that you're overdriving the Ditto but can't hear that because you're playing a patch with distortion.

Try a super-clean patch that's as loud as your usual patch. Set the volume without the Ditto plugged in. Then reconnect the Ditto. If your cleans come out of the Ditto distorted, then the Ditto is being overdriven. If not, then something else is going on...

My guess is the Ditto is sending an unbalanced signal and your FR12 is expecting a balanced one (since you're using an XLR at that end)

Does the FR12 have an unbalanced 1/4" input you could try? (Presumably with a normal instrument cable-I believe the FR12 is powered so you probably shouldn't use a speaker cable)

Back
Top Bottom