Wish External Dual Switch

drdub

Can we have dual switch functions on the FM9 external pedals so that we can assign a function to TS and RS separately, just like on the FM3? The pedal jacks accept TRS connections for expression pedals, so on the hardware side this should be possible, isn't it?

This was asked (by me, among others) when the FM9 first came out. The answer was that it is a hardware limitation of some sort.

True...

I was also among the ones that asked for this since the FM9 announcement. Not possible via FW update, it requires hardware modification.

I wasn’t around when the FM3 first came out but it didn’t have a headphone jack right? Then later it was added. So potentially the FM9T could get a hardware update. FM9.2T maybe?

I wasn’t around when the FM3 first came out but it didn’t have a headphone jack right? Then later it was added. So potentially the FM9T could get a hardware update. FM9.2T maybe?
Only a small handful of first production run didn’t have the headphone jack, and they were offered at a discount, the rest of them always have had it and it was always intended to have one.

Actually I was hoping the feature to be added to the FM9 Turbo, given the price change it would've been a really welcome feature even if it added to the final cost. Sadly, as Matt (Picone) pointed out, they don't plan this functionality to be added anytime soon.

Actually I was hoping the feature to be added to the FM9 Turbo, given the price change it would've been a really welcome feature even if it added to the final cost. Sadly, as Matt (Picone) pointed out, they don't plan this functionality to be added anytime soon.

It's the same DSP with just a different speed rating. Chip manufacturers don't design processors to be either slow of fast, they're all designed to be as fast as possible. The chip test then reveals how good the individual chip is and it is put into the corresponding speed bucket. Other than that they're all the same with the same number of IO pins. This means an FM9 MK2 with more ext. pedals supported would need a different DSP, not just a faster one. And that would be a bigger design change with a lot more development cost involved. Personally I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon.

It's the same DSP with just a different speed rating. Chip manufacturers don't design processors to be either slow of fast, they're all designed to be as fast as possible. The chip test then reveals how good the individual chip is and it is put into the corresponding speed bucket. Other than that they're all the same with the same number of IO pins. This means an FM9 MK2 with more ext. pedals supported would need a different DSP, not just a faster one. And that would be a bigger design change with a lot more development cost involved. Personally I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon.
I never saw anything saying the issue was related to IO pins... Was that stated somewhere or is that just your assumption?

Also, it is worth mentioning that the jacks on the Axe Fx III (not the FC, but the unit itself) are the same.

From page 12 of the Axe Fx III manual:

Each of the two local Expression jacks of the Axe-Fx III allows you to connect one expression pedal or one external footswitch. A connected pedal or switch can change effect parameters, or operate any of a long list of global functions. Many factory presets are ready for use with one or more pedals.

I never saw anything saying the issue was related to IO pins... Was that stated somewhere or is that just your assumption?

Also, it is worth mentioning that the jacks on the Axe Fx III (not the FC, but the unit itself) are the same.

From page 12 of the Axe Fx III manual:

It wasn't officially stated, it is entirely my assumption based on the fact that it makes no sense to reduce functionality on the higher end products except if you're forced to by hardware constraints.

It wasn't officially stated, it is entirely my assumption based on the fact that it makes no sense to reduce functionality on the higher end products except if you're forced to by hardware constraints.
Ok...

I'm personally not convinced of that because the jacks are already TRS and as such would still (I think) require the same number of pins for expression pedal use.

Also, see my quote above regarding Axe Fx III having the same "limitation" - the FM9 in that case is the same as the flagship :)

Ok...

I'm personally not convinced of that because the jacks are already TRS and as such would still (I think) require the same number of pins for expression pedal use.

Also, see my quote above regarding Axe Fx III having the same "limitation" - the FM9 in that case is the same as the flagship :)

For an expression pedal you need one AD converter pin. For two stand-in switches you either need two digital IO pins or one digital IO + one AD pin or 2 AD pins.

Back
Top Bottom