External Controller to bypass a block - Is this possible?

marshall2553

Power User
I'm using a Pod HD500 as a MIDI controller for my Axe-Fx. What I'd like to do is setup each of the 8 footswitches on the HD500 as a CC toggle tied to the CC# for external controllers 1-8. This way I could determine what they control in each patch on the Axe-Fx while using the exact same patch in every preset slot of the HD500. This works great for things like Boost or Sat in the amp block but I can't figure out how to use an external controller to bypass/enable a block, e.g. turn a drive, delay, or mod on and off. Is this possible? There doesn't appear to be a way to attach a modifier to the bypass state of the block, only to the bypass mode. Thanks!

I'm using a Pod HD500 as a MIDI controller for my Axe-Fx. What I'd like to do is setup each of the 8 footswitches on the HD500 as a CC toggle tied to the CC# for external controllers 1-8. This way I could determine what they control in each patch on the Axe-Fx while using the exact same patch in every preset slot of the HD500. This works great for things like Boost or Sat in the amp block but I can't figure out how to use an external controller to bypass/enable a block, e.g. turn a drive, delay, or mod on and off. Is this possible? There doesn't appear to be a way to attach a modifier to the bypass state of the block, only to the bypass mode. Thanks!

You might be going about this the wrong way.

You might get more mileage out of the situation if you link your HD500 buttons to controlling 8 scenes in a preset. You can determine the appropriate effects changes that you might need, in order to get through a song from beginning to end. Then save presets that have the right 8 scenes, for each song you are going to play.

If you are playing improvisationally, you might want to invest in another midi controller.

I'd prefer to have it setup as a pedalboard instead of using scenes. And it's a pain to go into each preset on the HD500 and set the CC#s to bypass whatever block I want in a certain preset on the Axe. If I could use external controllers for this I could do all the editing on the Axe and not worry about keeping patches on the HD500 in sync with what's going on in the Axe-Fx.

The modifier accessed via the bypass mode parameter is the bypass state modifier. Unlike most parameters the modifier doesn't control the same thing as the knob you use to access it. IIRC the only other example of this is LFO Type accessing the LFO Run modifier.

The modifier accessed via the bypass mode parameter is the bypass state modifier. Unlike most parameters the modifier doesn't control the same thing as the knob you use to access it. IIRC the only other example of this is LFO Type accessing the LFO Run modifier.

Awesome, thanks! I hadn't even tried that because the values on the knob weren't what I was looking for. Works perfectly now.

I used to use an HD500 as well. Seems to me that one problem might be that the lights on the HD don't sync up with the on/off state of the effect block. I never could get it to work correctly. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

I used to use an HD500 as well. Seems to me that one problem might be that the lights on the HD don't sync up with the on/off state of the effect block. I never could get it to work correctly. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

They do for me. You just have to set the initial state on the HD to match your preset on the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom