External Controller startup issue

Poparad

Power User
@Admin M@ I'm continuing this thread from here as the beta firmware thread was closed.

So I did the test you recommended: I made two copies of a blank preset with a volume block with my pedal unplugged and experimented with setting the initial values to 0%, 50%, and 100%. It behaved as you said: the value was always 100%. I think I may have misdiagnosed the source of the problem, but it's still a problem, just maybe with a different culprit.

So here's the issue: When I boot my FM9, my wah block always loads on, even though I save the preset with it bypassed and I have auto-engage set to "fast speed" and "5%." When the preset first loads, my wah is always on (and always irritating the hell out of me) but when I change to a second preset, it always loads bypassed as I'm expecting it to. So maybe this is an auto-engage bug for the first-boot preset? Something is getting loaded later in the first-boot preset than in subsequent preset changes that's triggering the auto-engage? My FM3 always loads my wah in bypass, with or without an expression pedal plugged in.

Bottom line, I'd love to be able to finally boot up my FM9 and not have my wah automatically kick on every time. I only use wah on certain gigs, so I regularly don't plug in an expression pedal to the jack (pedal 3 for me) but I still need it often enough that I keep it in my presets.

I just installed the official 6.0 firmware and my wah is still loading engaged in the initial preset.

I understand bringing attention to this and this probably already occurred to you, but why not just set the FM9 to default to starting on a preset that doesn't have an auto-engage Wah block? Would at least save you that aggravation until and if this behavior gets addressed. You can set it under 'Setup' --> 'Global Settings' --> 'Startup Preset'.

+1
I confirm, I also have this problem.

why not just set the FM9 to default to starting on a preset that doesn't have an auto-engage Wah block?

All the presets I use have a wah block and they are all switched via auto-engange.
Of course, you can deal with this problem in various ways, but the thread is about trying to solve the problem comprehensively, at the frimware level.

@playmusic - that's how I interpreted your comment - as a polite suggestion, without any ofence. However, it is not always possible to work this way (all my presets have an auto-engange wah block).
My workaround - I always after powerOn quickly change the preset twice (right arrow, left arrow). After the second change, it loads the "starting" preset again, this time with the correct Externall Controllers start value. I did it this way - although it's annoying, and I don't always remember do that (especially on stage, there's stress, sometimes rush, etc.) - and sometimes I start playing with the wah on, even though I haven't moved the pedal.

It would be nice if the problem was solved at the firmware level.

Visual information would be helpful in assessing the state of the wah block - e.g. the bypass wah block on PerformacnePage (although there, visually, the bypass has the opposite highlighting from the "intuitively" expected one, as I write about here).

I too have this issue except that I actually have two pedals set to auto-engage, one for wah and another for pitch. So when I boot up I get an octave high tone with a wah, which sounds terrible, until i change patches and back. It’s not the end of the world but it is somewhat irritating at times.

I too have this issue except that I actually have two pedals set to auto-engage, one for wah and another for pitch. So when I boot up I get an octave high tone with a wah, which sounds terrible, until i change patches and back. It’s not the end of the world but it is somewhat irritating at times.

Bummer, that's even worse!

Back
Top Bottom