Expressions Pedal to control Delay and Reverb amount.

NARPLDR

One of my expression pedals controls the amount of delay and reverb across all 8 scenes in a preset. I like this because I can adjust delay and reverb to taste depending on where the EV2 is set. You can see what I’m referring to here:

skip to 7:44

However, I'm getting ready for a live recording, so I need more control over the specific amount of delay and reverb. Can the expression pedal toggle between 3 specific delay and reverb settings? Think "Small Med Large." And if so, how can I set it up?

I’d like to control these delay and reverb settings on the expression pedal 2 however I’m not opposed to assigning it to foot switches on my fractal.

Note: Scenes are not an option. I have a kitchen sink preset so all scenes are pretty much used for different tones already.

Expression pedals are continuous controllers, so they will select all values between as you move the pedal. Toe down and heel down give you two repeatable positions to leave the pedal in, but selecting a third value between them will depend on your ability to consistently leave the pedal in the same spot in its travel each time. Without something like a center detent that you can physical feel in the sweep, that will be a bit tough to do accurately. In the modifier settings, you can set the Slope parameter to 0% to create a flat spot in the modifier curve, making a little bit easier to stay a bit closer to the middle value you set using the Mid parameter. Min would set the low value, Max would set the high value, and Mid would let you select the third value between them.

Expression pedals are continuous controllers, so they will select all values between as you move the pedal. Toe down and heel down gives you two repeatable positions to leave the pedal in, but selecting a third value between them will depend on your ability to consistently leave the pedal in the same spot in its travel each time. Without something like a center detent that you can physical feel in the sweep, that will be a bit tough to do accurately. In the modifier settings, you can set the Slope parameter to 0% to create a flat spot in the modifier curve, making a little bit easier to stay a bit closer to the middle value you set using the Mid parameter. Min would set the low value, Max would set the high value, and Mid would let you select the third value between them.
Yeah I noticed this as I was messing with it earlier today. Any tips on achieving this with foot switches instead?

A switch will only have two states (on or off), so a third setting is not possible there. The only way to get more than two states is to use more than one switch. The Axe III allows for two sources per modifier so this is possible using two control switches, SRC1+SRC2, and source scaling, but I don't think the FM3 and FM9 can support dual modifier sources.

Last edited:
What I’d suggest is to either use scenes. Setup three scenes with the reverb and delay settings you want to use by changing channels on the reverb and delay blocks. Another option would be to use scene controllers to adjust the parameter settings.

You might be able to use the Sequencer with 3 distinct values and a switch to step thru the 3 values, assigned as controller...

This would require playing with the Run / Pause stuff... But I think it should be possible. You'd use a switch to cycle thru three settings.

This could be done with a stopped triangle LFO quantized to 3 steps. Assign the LFO "B" output to effect parameters, set B phase around 18 degrees, assign pedal to sweep LFO duty% from about 5 to 100%. (Reduce this range somewhat to get a larger mid value zone. The high value can change more. Something like 7-75% should maximize the mid zone while still reaching the low & high values.)

In this case if you're only changing effect mix levels, it might be easier to use a volume block before these effects, with a parallel dry path. Assign pedal to level & volume parameters. Adjust modifier curves for a steep change near heel-down for one, toe-down for the other.

Back
Top Bottom