Expression pedal

golfnut

I've done quite a bit of work with my FM9 in the past few days and I'm over the moon how great this unit sounds. In the past many years of trying to migrate over to digital and live a life of less dependence on tubes this is the first time I experience joy instead of disappointment.
I'd like to work on getting my Mission volume pedal integrated in to this system.
I have a rehearsal with the band today so its not important for that. But in the next 2 weekends I'll be gigging so I'd like to at least have it connected as a volume pedal initially.
If I connect it to the pedal1 jack will it by default function as a volume pedal or will I have to program that for each preset?

Is it a volume pedal (with an input and output) or an expression pedal? If it’s a traditional volume pedal, it’s not going to be wired the same way as a dedicated expression pedal.

It is a volume pedal with an input and output jack. It also has an adapter as it needs power if that makes any difference.
Can I simply put it in line with the guitar like I normally do with tube amps? That should work? I guess I can try as soon as I get some time. Until I get a true expression pedal, I'd like to use it as a volume pedal.

Last edited:
You would have to use it as a traditional inline volume pedal, but you can “cheat” a little bit and place it in a loop (out 3-input 3) and place it anywhere in the chain you want it.

For best results as an expression pedal, use a pedal that's designed as an expression pedal rather than try to press a passive audio volume pedal into that duty. In your case, the buffering makes your volume pedal unusable for expression duty.

Probably in the short term, using your pedal into the input will be the most direct path to that function.

The slightly more complicated way is to add Output 3 and Input 3 inline in the preset, so you can use it in the middle of the chain somewhere.

In my set-up, I use a VolPan block after the amp and cab, so it shuts off any noise from those and drive blocks and such. That will work for placement with your analog buffered volume also.

If you want to go more complicated, holler. Here's a photo of my boards:
1000012342.jpg

I use my volume and expression pedals into Pdl1 and 2 inputs. Then just place a Vol block where I want it in any preset I am
Using and tie it to Pdl 1…..and decide how I want to use pdl 2 in any preset as well ( delay, trem, etc..).

I use my volume and expression pedals into Pdl1 and 2 inputs. Then just place a Vol block where I want it in any preset I am
Using and tie it to Pdl 1…..and decide how I want to use pdl 2 in any preset as well ( delay, trem, etc..).
Are you using a Volume pedal as an expression pedal? Or do you mean an expression pedal controlling volume...

Volume pedals don't work great as expression pedals, if they work at all, because the pot taper isn't linear.

I have 2 of the Fractal pedals. Use one exclusively as a volume.
Not exactly a complete answer because both the EV-1 and EV-2 can operate as an analog volume pedal or an expression pedal.

Since you said you're connecting to the pedal jacks I have to assume you're using both as expression pedals... One of which is used as a global volume pedal?

Yes, sorry for incorrect terminology. Using both as expression pedals , but one I use solely as a global volume pedal via volume block wherever I choose to place in preset, the other I tie as expression to whatever effect I am wanting. IMG_5637.jpeg

Yes, sorry for incorrect terminology. Using both as expression pedals , but one I use solely as a global volume pedal via volume block wherever I choose to place in preset, the other I tie as expression to whatever effect I am wanting. View attachment 143792
Yeah, correct terminology is really important when trying to provide help to someone with limited experience or knowledge on the topic ;)

Otherwise, confusion can easily ensue...

Back
Top Bottom