Expression pedal with external switches

bdj

I have a mission sp1 connected to Pedal 2, and an ampero dual foot switch connected to Pedal 1. I’d like to use the footswitch of the SP1 so that I can toggle between wah and whammy, but that would mean that I can’t use my ampero switch because the SP1 footswitch would be connected to Pedal 1. Is there anything I can do to get everything working together, maybe a splitter cable from the SP1?

I have a mission sp1 connected to Pedal 2, and an ampero dual foot switch connected to Pedal 1. I’d like to use the footswitch of the SP1 so that I can toggle between wah and whammy, but that would mean that I can’t use my ampero switch because the SP1 footswitch would be connected to Pedal 1. Is there anything I can do to get everything working together, maybe a splitter cable from the SP1?
Does the Ampero switch have 2 buttons?

If so, then there's no option...

Wait wait.... I thought the SP-1 could be used as both an exp pedal AND switchable if it was connected with a single TRS cable. Is this incorrect? Have you tried a TRS cable OP?

That was the reason I really wanted an SP-1 but couldn't find any in stock at the time so I cannot verify this or not.

I was under the impression that both jacks on the SP-1 are TRS. Therefore you would need to use both Pedal inputs on the FM3.
I found that is was easier to hook up an external 2 button switch to one Pedal input of the FM3, and get a small MIDI controller like the Disaster Area Midi Baby 3 (or the Airstep in my case), that has 2 pedal inputs, and hook up the SP1 to that.

Wait wait.... I thought the SP-1 could be used as both an exp pedal AND switchable if it was connected with a single TRS cable. Is this incorrect? Have you tried a TRS cable OP?

That was the reason I really wanted an SP-1 but couldn't find any in stock at the time so I cannot verify this or not.
The SP-1 requires TRS for expression and TRS for the switch, although some older ones (I think) only use TS for the switch.

Oh wow, thanks Unix. I totally misunderstood how the SP1 hooks up via trs. Now I feel even better about my Hotone XP pedal I ended up buying lol.

There’s no reason to use a TRS with the SP1 switch for our purposes - it’s toggling the common lug between the 2 other lugs, which is not really useful (you could assign both T and R to different switches in the FM3, but it would always switch one switch off and the other on every time you click it).

As documented in other threads, a latching switch is not ideal for use with Fractal devices - a momentary switch is almost always preferable. I recommend changing the SP1 switch to a momentary and then you need only use a TS cable and then can use one additional external switch into the same FM3 jack. If you’re not handy with making cables, you can use an ‘insert’ cable - TRS end goes to the FM3, one TS goes to the SP1 switch jack and the other TS goes to another jack. This is what I do on my big board and it works great:

IMG_1627.jpeg

There’s no reason to use a TRS with the SP1 switch for our purposes - it’s toggling the common lug between the 2 other lugs, which is not really useful (you could assign both T and R to different switches in the FM3, but it would always switch one switch off and the other on every time you click it).

As documented in other threads, a latching switch is not ideal for use with Fractal devices - a momentary switch is almost always preferable. I recommend changing the SP1 switch to a momentary and then you need only use a TS cable and then can use one additional external switch into the same FM3 jack. If you’re not handy with making cables, you can use an ‘insert’ cable - TRS end goes to the FM3, one TS goes to the SP1 switch jack and the other TS goes to another jack. This is what I do on my big board and it works great:

View attachment 141868
Good points although that doesn't help the OP as he's already got an expression pedal and a 2-button switch... :(

Good points although that doesn't help the OP as he's already got an expression pedal and a 2-button switch... :(

Right - but a 2-button switch and XPDL is a different use case from the SP1 - the SP1 is for when you need to switch something without lifting your foot off the treadle, which you can’t do with a separate 2-button switch. But if he doesn’t need that functionality - as suggested by the initial question - then I agree it’s moot.

Hiya!

As others have said, if you have a two button footswitch and an expression pedal connected to the FM3 only, then you're maxxed out from a physical switch perspective, regardless of whether the expression pedal has a toe switch or not.

You can add a midi switch (this doesn't help with getting the toe switch on the expression pedal to work), or you could add an FC6/FC12, plug the expression into that, plus the toe switch connection. This works because the FC allows more physical switches/pedals, but the FM3 would still be maxxed out.

You can get wah and whammy working with a single pedal, within a single presets, but these would need to be on different scenes.

Check this out:

Back
Top Bottom