Expression Pedal Use Question

I had a SP-2 for a while and couldn't get it to work for me as it would always push the other output to 100% when it wasn't engaged. It would have been great if it had a switch (like a polarity switch) where you could set the other output to 0% instead if you wanted to run say wah and delay mix on the two outputs.

But something like volume swells and wah could work, or wah and whammy where you could set the auto off mode to above 95%.

So the seller on reverb says this: "Yes, the switch (located under the rocker) reverses the polarity."

He also posted a link to the manual, but I cannot link it here.

So this should work with the AX8 then right?

If you can find one, the Mission SP-2 (out of production) will do exactly what you're looking for with no major headaches. If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Mission SP-1 can be modded to operate like the SP-2. The SP-1 can do what you need but there are several threads discussing the issues some have encountered setting it up.

this works exactly how you want it. i got a used Mission Engineering SP-2 from craigslist last year. @Sonofiam helped me with the setup on the FX8/AX8. Red mode works as volume control, (click on the toe) Blue mode works for the WAH. you can only use one or the other. you have to switch it with the SP-2. you can have both the volume and wah in the same preset but can't use both volume and wah at the same time. i hope i am making sense.

The general problem with this setup is this:

Let's say you are playing and you need to activate the pedal to control Wah. You've set the (currently active) volume at 60% to get that tone you are after. In order to activate the Wah control, you have to swell the Volume up to 100% to click the switch that engages the Wah.

The general problem with this setup is this:

Let's say you are playing and you need to activate the pedal to control Wah. You've set the (currently active) volume at 60% to get that tone you are after. In order to activate the Wah control, you have to swell the Volume up to 100% to click the switch that engages the Wah.
You can just put a wah on button/switch 1-8 and then step on that switch and wah is on without the volume being disturbed. I don’t see any problem when i do that to my preset. I don’t know. We all have different way of doing things. I could be also wrong. I am not perfect. All i am saying is the SP-2 works for me and @Sonofiam and maybe a few more people on here. Other people like the 2 expression pedal route. That also works! But for a small pedalboard the SP-2 is great!
Be blessed!

You can just put a wah on button/switch 1-8 and then step on that switch and wah is on without the volume being disturbed. I don’t see any problem when i do that to my preset. I don’t know. We all have different way of doing things. I could be also wrong. I am not perfect. All i am saying is the SP-2 works for me and @Sonofiam and maybe a few more people on here. Other people like the 2 expression pedal route. That also works! But for a small pedalboard the SP-2 is great!
Be blessed!
The point of the SP-2 is that it controls 2 different things from one pedal. The only way to switch between the 2 things you are controlling is to move the pedal toe down and click the switch.

The point of the SP-2 is that it controls 2 different things from one pedal. The only way to switch between the 2 things you are controlling is to move the pedal toe down and click the switch.
Which is perfectly fine with those who use it for basic expression (volume/way) control. No single product is going to work for everyone in every scenario. No piece of gear is without limitations, some more inconvenient than others, but the nice thing is there are plenty of options available to choose from in order to fill each individuals needs.

Which is perfectly fine with those who use it for basic expression (volume/way) control. No single product is going to work for everyone in every scenario. No piece of gear is without limitations, some more inconvenient than others, but the nice thing is there are plenty of options available to choose from in order to fill each individuals needs.
Yep... I'm just trying to make it clear that there are some limitations, and those might preclude some people from using it.

Since the OP is coming from the same type of behavior with the HD500, I guess he'll be fine with this option.

Can someone come up with an example of a setup that can be achieved with SP2 and not with SP1? I have always wondered about this.

I know that the routing can be vastly different, but I would like to learn if you can do something really unique.

I can’t think of anything, but in reverse there’s a few options that’s not possible. With SP1 you could for instance trigger the boost in the amp block with the button but you couldn’t do that with the SP2 while still controlling the expression function.

I know that the routing can be vastly different, but I would like to learn if you can do something really unique.
The only advantage of the SP-2 that I'm aware of is being able to use Global Volume when controlling another effect or parameter on the second 'channel'. The SP-1 requires the use of a Volume Block in order to switch between volume control and another assignment.

I suppose being so similar to the SP-1 would be a good reason to discontinue the SP-2. It could make it seem redundant.

Last edited:
The only advantage of the SP-2 that I'm aware of is being able to use Global Volume when controlling another effect or parameter on the second 'channel'. The SP-1 requires the use of a Volume Block in order to switch between volume control and another assignment.

I suppose being so similar to the SP-1 would be a good reason to discontinue the SP-2. I could make it seem redundant.

Except of course you cannot control the volume when controlling another parameter because as soon as you switch over the volume goes to max.

This question is also strictly in our Fractal space. I think the initial use case was to be able to control two different pedals, say the rate in a tremolo pedal and the mix in a separate delay pedal. For something like that the sp1 wouldn’t work. But I guess not many people needed something like that.

So I found something interesting because I cannot find a SP2 pedal to purchase

In this thread, comment #27 - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...oe-switch-with-fx8.103190/page-2#post-1335324

This guy says he uses an SP1 pedal exactly how we are saying we need the SP2. He says he uses volume/wah blocks and uses the toe switch on the SP1 to switch between them.

Any thoughts?
That's what's been alluded to, the SP-1 can do what you're asking but requires a volume block in order to use as volume control and be used for another effect or parameter. As I mentioned earlier, the only advantage of the SP-2 is the ability to use the Global Volume instead of having to add the volume block in each preset.

That's what's been alluded to, the SP-1 can do what you're asking but requires a volume block in order to use as volume control and be used for another effect or parameter. As I mentioned earlier, the only advantage of the SP-2 is the ability to use the Global Volume instead of having to add the volume block in each preset.

Got it!! Thank you for clarifying, I was going to ask that next haha. Yeah I cant find a SP-2 unfortunately. The one I posted here got sold immediately after it was confirmed here that it would work for my needs so I couldnt purchase it. Snooze ya lose I guess! I will probably have to just do that mod of the SP-1 then I guess, since the global volume is better than each preset

Got it!! Thank you for clarifying, I was going to ask that next haha. Yeah I cant find a SP-2 unfortunately. The one I posted here got sold immediately after it was confirmed here that it would work for my needs so I couldnt purchase it. Snooze ya lose I guess! I will probably have to just do that mod of the SP-1 then I guess, since the global volume is better than each preset
I've used the SP-2 with a volume block as well as the Global Volume with both the AX8 and FX8. Either works fine, once you've made a couple of base presets (I create one per amp), it's pretty simple to use them as templates for 'by song' presets. You'll figure out what works best for you and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom