Expression Pedal Stopped Working

eggzoomin

I have been using a Moog EP2 with the expression pedal jack on my Axe 2 very happily for months now. I recently moved my studio rig between rooms in the house (including around six week broken down because I had building work happening. On reassembling all my kit, the expression pedal no longer works. I'd appreciate any troubleshooting thoughts that I might have missed. So far I have checked and tried:

It is definitely plugged into the correct socket on the back of the Axe
The jack plug has not had any damage and neither have the soldered connections within it
Recalibrating the pedal in the I/O section of the Axe, with the attenuation knob at both max and min
The CTRL page of the I/O menu has External Control 1 set to pedal and I am using that modifier in my patches
When I try to use "Learn" in the CTRL page against Ext Ctrl 1, it doesn't seem to pick anything up

I suspect (and desperately hope!) the pedal has become damaged, rather than the Axe, but would obviously like to confirm this before I order a new expression pedal. I don't have any other gear that uses expression pedals and only have an Ernie Ball 6160 (250k) volume available in terms of other rocker pedals. If anyone can think of the best way to confirm what has happened (or even fix it!), I'd appreciate. I'm not the world's greatest electrical engineer, but I do have a multimeter, so I could potentially open up the pedal and take some readings...?

Thanks in advance!

I've had this weird stuff happen to me too with a mission pedal. In fact i ended up buying another pedal to test and it worked fine. Then that one stopped working and the other one started again lol.

One of the most annoying ones i had to troubleshoot was found to be the polarity switch on the mission sp1 (under the top of the pedal itself) to be jammed "in the middle" so it was neither polarity and consequently did F all!

You could have some kind of polarity problem. Maybe a software setting has changed regards to the polarity of the pedal or something along those lines. I would bet there's nothing wrong with the pedal itself, the damn things are built like tanks.

I didn't know it was even possible to change the polarity of an expression pedal with the Axe... any idea where this setting might be found please? Sadly, this is a Moog expression pedal, not a Mission - built rather less like a tank and rather more like a tent!

I didn't know it was even possible to change the polarity of an expression pedal with the Axe... any idea where this setting might be found please? Sadly, this is a Moog expression pedal, not a Mission - built rather less like a tank and rather more like a tent!

I don't think the AXE has a polarity setting, the actual expression pedal does. That mission pedal has a switch to change polarity to work with other units.

@TO: Do you use only a single preset?

I'm asking this, because sometimes expression pedals do not change values when moved connected to the MFC right after bootup. As soon as you change presets, everything is initialized and should work properly.

I don't have an MFC, just the expression pedal straight into the AxeFX. I'm thinking the pedal is just shot - I'll order a new one come payday. Guess this gives me an excuse to buy one of those nice Mission pedal!

Back
Top Bottom