Expression Pedal Problems

Mark Robinson

Hi all,

New to Axe FX world and after a couple of weeks, still trying to get the basics working! I got the Axe FX with MFC101 and two EV1 expression pedals thinking I could do wah with one and delay mix etc with the other. However...

The first MFC101, the pedals were both behaving strangely. Pedal 1 was going to a minimum value of 11 rather than 0 and pedal 2 had a problem where it would register at max with the heel down. After some back and forth with customer support and trying the pedals plugged into the axe FX directly, we concluded it was the MFC101 and they've sent a replacement.

I've plugged in the replacement and after some fiddling I've managed to get expression pedal 1 to work as a wah by hooking it up to no.16. It still won't go to a minimum value of zero with the heel down, it stays at 10-11 but at least it works.

However, expression pedal 2 (the one that was jumping values before) now doesn't work at all. I've hooked it up to no.17 but it doesn't show any midi in at all on the Axe Fx.

I'm using the FASLINK connection with an XLR cable.

Is there anything I could be overlooking here?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Did you calibrate both pedals? Where are you seeing the minimum value of 10 or 11? Note that calibration will always show the (possibly limited) range detected for the pedal. The goal of calibration isn't to see 0 & 127 at the calibration screen. Does the dot at the wah modifier screen move across the full horizontal distance of the graph when you move the pedal?

Are you using a TRS cable for the 2nd pedal? Does it work when connected to the XP1 port with the cable known to work w/ that port?

You may want to clarify what "hooking up" a pedal to no. 16 or 17 means. This can help rule out other setup issues. Which parameter(s) did you adjust on which device(s)?

Hey Bakerman, thanks for the response. Both pedals calibrated - saw the 10/11 value in calibrating pedal 1 (couldn't get it to read zero).
Using exactly the same TRS cable for both. Here's what's interesting, when I try to calibrate pedal 2 now I get nothing at all, rocking the pedal doesn't change the values. Pedal 2 doesn't work when connected to XP1 with that cable either. Hard to believe it was sort of working then just stopped though?

Back
Top Bottom