Expression pedal controlling both wah and whammy in the same preset?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Hi!

I was wondering something. I'd like to have both a whammy and a wah in the same preset, and control them both with the same expression pedal. Of course, I'm not going to use them at the same time, so I want to be able to switch between wah and whammy with a switch on my midiboard.

I have some ideas in my head about how to do it, but I'd like any thoughts and ideas you guys can come up with :) There might be a better way than what I thought up.

/Nick

I would place the whammy and the wah on two different rows in the grid, and feed them both into a mixer block where you would assign your midi controller's switch to select between them. Then you assign the same expression pedal to both the whammy and wah.

I believe, as long as you have wah and whammy assigned to different IA switches on your pedalboard, that you can just assign the controller in each effect to the same external controller and it will control each (or both at once) when that effect is selected. For instance, control the sweep of each with External 1 (or whichever External # your pedal is connected) and when the effect is selected, that external pedal will control the parameter assigned. It's in the manual starting on page 124, and also in the Axe II wiki for more in depth description with illustrations.

I think they'll work, just remember to return to the "out of range" setting to disable the effect before switching away from it, other wise it will stay engaged at the last setting it saw.

I think they'll work, just remember to return to the "out of range" setting to disable the effect before switching away from it, other wise it will stay engaged at the last setting it saw.

Hi!

Yeah, but I won't have them assigned to different IA switches on my board, I want to use only 1 to switch between them.

Yek: looking at the wiki info on this, I don't understand something here. Why does the pitch block have to be parallel and not serial?

Wouldn't this strategy still work if it was a serial setup of pitch block, into amp, into wah?

Don't think so.

Can't they both be set to through? You could place both effects where you like then.

When using auto-engage you need a signal path around the wah when controlling the other effect, since wah doesn't have a mix control. Shunt + wah into a mixer will work (control mixer levels) or you can use the thru/mute balance method w/ something like vol/pan or null filter replacing pitch in the example above. With pitch you can set the mix to 0%, plus level 0 dB and balance 0.0 if they're not already there.

You could also have a look at my discussion with Bakerman on how to have both wah and whammy and also controlling delay vol with one pedal. There is a preset to download for studying how Bakerman achieved it. Very instructive and clever, I still use it has my base preset:
Controlling multiple parameters

Back
Top Bottom