Expression and volume pedal not wroking properly.

AXEfx1

I have a problem with my Boss FV500 volume pedal and Roland EV5 expression pedals. Everything has worked perfectly until recently.

When using either as a volume pedal (with a volume block inserted) the volume no longer stays off with the heel down. It will shut off but will almost immediately come back on. Then if I push it forward the volume doesn't change. Moving it back and forth doesn't change the volume from low to high like it should.

The pedal is connected directly to the back on the AFII (12.02). I have it set for auto engage at a medium speed. I checked my settings and nothing has changed and I didn't change anything myself.

I tried moving the volume block around but it does the same thing in any position. Though, sometimes after moving it the pedal works as it should for a second, then goes back to not working.

The strange thing is that the same pedals work as a wah (with the wah block) without a problem.

Things I have tried:

Cleaning the pedals.
Checked the volume knobs on the side of the pedal.
Re-calibrated both pedals.
Not using the AFII while USB is connected.

As I said earlier, this happened out of the blue. Nothing was moved or changed.

Is there anything else that I should try?

silly question but….

on the left hand side for the FV-500 is a little black knob..
this sets the minimum value of the pedal..
could this have moved away from it's minimum position??

this sometimes happens to me when my kit has been packed away on the way too / from a gig / rehearsal etc..

alternatively…
my first FV-500 was ok for the first few months and then went faulty
I'd move to heel down and although the pedal was still, it'd 'chatter' [volume up and down just a little randomly]
when I tried to calibrate it in the MFC, with the pedal at heel down, I could see the lowest value moving rather than being still
I sent it back to Roland [under warranty] and they replaced it with a new one

silly question but….

on the left hand side for the FV-500 is a little black knob..
this sets the minimum value of the pedal..
could this have moved away from it's minimum position??

That was one of the first things I tried (see above).

Right after I posted, I did some comparing of my presets. I found one that had the "auto-engage" set to "off" and the volume pedal was working as it should. I changed one of the presets that had it set "on" to "off" and that was now working too.

I'm just confused, why all of a sudden, I can't use auto-engage the way I had been before. The wah block works using it.

I believe some (but not all?) my expression pedal modifier assignments were reset with 12.05beta.

I don't think you really want autoengage here. Does everything work how you'd like when autoengage is off?

You might have had the block set to mute bypass mode before, so when it disengaged it stayed muted. That isn't necessary but if you wanted to reproduce it, the position (POS) style auto-engage should do it.

Does it matter ?!?! I am letting him know to check those out. I am all set, HE needs the help.

Yes, it is a relevant question for either of you, because you stated these are "new". They are not all that new, so I was simply trying to narrow the scope of the problem.

This is a common trouble-shooting technique, and as person who makes a very good living from trouble-shooting technical problems, I feel qualified to use it.

Sorry if it offended you...

Back
Top Bottom