Experienced E.H 44 Magnum Power Amp pedal?

Roadrunner

Power User
So I got an AX8 on a pedal board and I thought to add there 2 x EH 44 Magnum Power Amp pedals to have stereo out to 2 2x12 I got running in stereo.
Although it’s a pedal size, it is loud enough for what I'm looking for, problem is I don't have a way to test it before buying.
Anyone had a chance to try it?
Is it flat or it colors the tone?

I have had good luck with the 44 magnum, but I use it with a real cabinet, and as such am not as concerned with the flatness of the sound. I create my presets with the 44 and my cab so that it how I expect it to sound. I have not compared it to other options but In my opinion it does color the sound somewhat in comparison to my studio monitors. I find the 44 to be plenty loud to keep up with my "plenty loud" drummer. I like your idea of running stereo. I guess it all depends on what you are after. As an alternative, there are plenty of flat response powered speakers available these days. I guess it just comes down to what you want to lug around.

IMHO you would be better off selling the cabs and getting powered monitors than ghettoizing your rig with a cheap pedal power amp. Or maybe a quilter or stealth if you really need powerful and small and simply insist on keeping the cabs.

I have one and I use it with a 4x12. I like it! It's loud enough to play with a drummer. It has two modes, bright and normal. I use it in normal but it's just preference! Eq the preset accordingly. Two of them would be twice the fun, but twice the price.
Their power supply is kinda bulky, so twice the trouble...
What you need is a Matrix power amp! They have something cool coming for pedal board power amps! I'd wait to see before buying something now.

I have had good luck with the 44 magnum, but I use it with a real cabinet, and as such am not as concerned with the flatness of the sound. I create my presets with the 44 and my cab so that it how I expect it to sound. I have not compared it to other options but In my opinion it does color the sound somewhat in comparison to my studio monitors. I find the 44 to be plenty loud to keep up with my "plenty loud" drummer. I like your idea of running stereo. I guess it all depends on what you are after. As an alternative, there are plenty of flat response powered speakers available these days. I guess it just comes down to what you want to lug around.

I run a Marshall 4x12 in the studio that can accept stereo so I would like to have a "light weight in the pedalboard" stereo amplification solution so when I come to paly I just plug 2 speaker cables straight to the cabinet and I'm ready to rock.

IMHO you would be better off selling the cabs and getting powered monitors than ghettoizing your rig with a cheap pedal power amp. Or maybe a quilter or stealth if you really need powerful and small and simply insist on keeping the cabs.
I have both FRFR cabs and traditional cabs, I'm looking for a specific solution to run a 4x12 in stereo without the need to bring my power amp and I always play stereo.

What you need is a Matrix power amp! They have something cool coming for pedal board power amps! I'd wait to see before buying something now.

have a Matrix GT1000FX, it's my favorite power amp for years!
What pedal? Where? How much? Where can I buy? Common don't leave me drooling man….

I run a Marshall 4x12 in the studio that can accept stereo so I would like to have a "light weight in the pedalboard" stereo amplification solution so when I come to paly I just plug 2 speaker cables straight to the cabinet and I'm ready to rock.

I have both FRFR cabs and traditional cabs, I'm looking for a specific solution to run a 4x12 in stereo without the need to bring my power amp and I always play stereo.

have a Matrix GT1000FX, it's my favorite power amp for years!
What pedal? Where? How much? Where can I buy? Common don't leave me drooling man….
I have the GT1000FX too and love it! The Mag44 is not the same but it works (for me).
Check this link, is all I have: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/best-portable-power-amp-in-2017.123469/page-3#post-1478326

Back
Top Bottom