Experience with Mesa 20/20 DynaWatt stereo poweramp?

deathsilver

Inspired
Hi all,
Would love some advice from anyone using a mesa 20/20 stereo poweramp to feed Mesa cabs with the FX2.
Waiting for my unit to arrive and wondering if this would be a viable option or if a solid state poweramp would be preferable?
Cheers,

I am sure lots of people use similar setup, if you already have this gear, go for it and see if you like it. Later perhaps you can A-B test it against SS amp + passive cabs or active FRFR...

Had one. Fed it to a Vertical Mesa 2x12.

Found the coloration to be too much. It didn't have enough headroom for clean patches live, and it was great for certain things, but it didn't leave me alot of room for variety...everything skewed to 'sounding the same' after a month or so. I used a SS for a time, but in the end, the V30's didn't give me freedom as well. I wanted to go SLO to AC30 to Fender to Plexi, and that speaker setup didn't allow me to do that (to my satisfaction...) Don't get me wrong; I liked it, but wanted more.

Also, I with a cover band, I used some of the crazier FX (No Doubt's 'In my life' with a kind of Crystals swell thing...) Don't use it that much, but boy was it nice to have the option.

I've gone with the FRFR Atomic and used the full power of the unit. Been there for...3 years ish.

Had one. Fed it to a Vertical Mesa 2x12.

Found the coloration to be too much. It didn't have enough headroom for clean patches live, and it was great for certain things, but it didn't leave me alot of room for variety...everything skewed to 'sounding the same' after a month or so. I used a SS for a time, but in the end, the V30's didn't give me freedom as well. I wanted to go SLO to AC30 to Fender to Plexi, and that speaker setup didn't allow me to do that (to my satisfaction...) Don't get me wrong; I liked it, but wanted more.

Also, I with a cover band, I used some of the crazier FX (No Doubt's 'In my life' with a kind of Crystals swell thing...) Don't use it that much, but boy was it nice to have the option.

I've gone with the FRFR Atomic and used the full power of the unit. Been there for...3 years ish.

That's what I am afraid of. Will do most of my recording direct through USP and am looking for a good FRFR solution for playing at home. Does not have to be very loud, actually would prefer it not to be actually but am very much into high quality stereo performance. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I would have to echo electronpirates post with respect to coloration. The 20/20 imparts too much of a sonic foot print to allow for any verity of tones, great little amp but just not for the Axe given it's capabilities. A good set studio monitors will fit the bill for home playing. Through out a budget that you have to work with and people will chime in as to what would be good. Or you could do a search here in the Amp and Cab section plenty of threads on the subject.

I own a 20/20 + 4x12 recto cab and happen to love the Mesa tones. So for me it's perfectly fine that the 20/20 colours the sound. My Triaxis died so I've bought the FX2. It works great with the 20/20.

As others states as well if you want to use different amps types than Mesa, you're probably better of with a flat amp.

I would have to echo electronpirates post with respect to coloration. The 20/20 imparts too much of a sonic foot print to allow for any verity of tones, great little amp but just not for the Axe given it's capabilities. A good set studio monitors will fit the bill for home playing. Through out a budget that you have to work with and people will chime in as to what would be good. Or you could do a search here in the Amp and Cab section plenty of threads on the subject.

I did not think of a budget, let's say 1000$ for speakers and amp (or amplified speakers)? Does not have to be loud. Just loud enough to get some feedback :)

Back
Top Bottom