Expanded Librarian Capabilities

Expanded Librarian Capabilities ?

• Total voters

claudel

Experienced
With 3 banks of 128 presets to keep track of it would be great to have a way to organize them a bit more efficiently.

Ideally it would be cool to be able to organize the presets so that one could define songs consisting
of multiple presets, and then define sets consisting of multiple songs in a way that one could start
at the beginning of a gig and step back and forth through the sets using a pair of buttons either
on the Axe or an external controller and then step back and forth through the songs within the sets
using a different pair of buttons either on the Axe or an external controller and also be able to step
back and forth through the presets within the songs using a different pair of buttons either on the
Axe or an external controller.

It also would be nice to have some sort of "drag & drop" capability within this vaporware librarian to
easily rearrange the presets, songs & sets and to be able to print out setlists in whatever level
of detail is required...

I don't know if this could be done with midi mapping or whether it would be necessary to
actually rearrange the presets in their storage.

In any case, if something like this happens it needs to be totally compatible with the
forthcoming FAS101 and it would be nice if it would work well with other controllers.

Something like this is something that I, for one, would be willing to pay extra for as part of
an expanded editor/librarian software piece of the overall Axe system.

Please feel free to critique or expand on this

A) Is this a request for the Axe-Fx itself?
B) It has been suggested that the MFC101 is going to do that, which is really the appropriate place for that sort of thing.

scarr said:
B) It has been suggested that the MFC101 is going to do that, which is really the appropriate place for that sort of thing.

It's a request that considers the Axe-Fx, the controller, and the editor/librarian software as an integrated system.

Some sort of librarian software to efficiently organize the presets seems to me to be needed.

claudel said:
scarr said:

It's a request that considers the Axe-Fx, the controller, and the editor/librarian software as an integrated system.

Some sort of librarian software to efficiently organize the presets seems to me to be needed.
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask about that, although from the USB/FireWire thread, this forum might be taking on a different scope than the original threads used to.

claudel said:
scarr said:

I'm with you claudel, I think this a hugely important issue.

I am sorry if my USB/Firewire thread is in the wrong place, or inappropriate for that matter, please tell me where if not in the wish list section.

scarr said:
claudel said:
scarr said:

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask about that, although from the USB/FireWire thread, this forum might be taking on a different scope than the original threads used to.

Well, this *is* the "Wish List" forum, and to me it seems to be simpler to consider all the components as a single entity, at least regarding a librarian.

The liquid-foot, FX-1, All Access, and fractal foot controller (most likely) pedals already do much of what you are asking.

You can organize a number presets into a song and the song can be placed in a set. Both the liquid-foot and the FX-1 have editors so you can do organize presets, songs, and sets.

claudel said:
scarr said:
claudel said:

Well, this *is* the "Wish List" forum, and to me it seems to be simpler to consider all the components as a single entity, at least regarding a librarian.
The original idea of the wish list was to gather all the requests for future firmware updates -- things that could actually be changed in the AFx. It's a way to round everything up to give to Cliff.

The editor is Lars' creation, not a Fractal Audio product. As such, I think requests for it would likely be better heard in Lars' editor sub-forum. I'm not sure how often he'll be looking in here, especially as he voiced disapproval of the wish list in the first place. I'm pointing this out so you can get your request heard by (theoretically) the right person.

That isn't to say I can't expand the scope of the list to a certain degree, but there are limits before it becomes impractical. Asking for completely new products pushes those boundaries.

scarr said:
claudel said:
scarr said:

The original idea of the wish list was to gather all the requests for future firmware updates -- things that could actually be changed in the AFx. It's a way to round everything up to give to Cliff.

The editor is Lars' creation, not a Fractal Audio product. As such, I think requests for it would likely be better heard in Lars' editor sub-forum. I'm not sure how often he'll be looking in here, especially as he voiced disapproval of the wish list in the first place. I'm pointing this out so you can get your request heard by (theoretically) the right person.

That isn't to say I can't expand the scope of the list to a certain degree, but there are limits before it becomes impractical. Asking for completely new products pushes those boundaries.

Well, I see your point, but from the consumer/user's point of view it can be confusing
and/or even borderline annoying to have to make that sort of distinction.

The request isn't so much for a *new* product, but for enhancements to the overall system that
will support announced future expansion of the system in a way that will continue the tradition
of superior quality that is the foundation of what we have so far.

I'm totally appreciative of the time and effort that Lars has put into creating the editor. I've been a participant
in software development projects of varying sizes over the years and I understand the potential complexities.

I have no clue as to the relationship between FAS/Cliff and Lars regarding the development of the editor.
Presumably there is some sort of information sharing. I can't see how the editor could possibly function
as well as it does without some level of cooperation.

However, in order for the overall system ( AxeFx, FAS101, and editor librarian) to be as useful a tool as
it can be to us end users, it *does* , IMO need to be viewed by all concerned at some point as an integrated
system, and not a group of unrelated entities.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for an expanded functionality that would
increase the overall usability of an already extremely useful product.

Back
Top Bottom