EXP Pedals on FM9

Michell63

Hi, Fractal friends!

I have one question if anyone could help me. I have an FM9, and two EXP pedals;
one is for volume, the other for effects. Both are the same type (Jim Dunlop mini).
I can't setup them right to get them to work the way I want.
I have calibrated both - correctly, but the problem remains the same.
Namely; both reach 100% about at half of the move.
I've tried to correct curve, but it is hard to fidle volume or FX with them precisely.
Maybe someone has a similar experience, thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Are you using TRS cables?

Pedals are plugged into the FM9 exp pedal jack?

Pedals are assigned to the correct jack?
Thank you! Yes, all is done corectly. I am wondering is this type of pedal uncompatible. I have been using both on GIGRIG3 without any problem…

Thank you Habuman.
You gave me a lead: I think the problem could be wrong potentiometer value.
In Fractal pedal, there's 100KΩ pot. inside, in Dunlop mini just 10 KΩ.
I will try to change one, for test.

Thank you for your help!

See the Dunlop Mini on lots of boards in this forum so it works fine. Do a search for Dunlop Mini.

You have assigned the pedals as expression in the I/O?

Yes, I do asigned them both I/O, as described in manuals.
Also as a global volume pedal, they are both working in the same way-very rough.
Practicaly it is inpossible to adjust right volume, because pedal reaction is to rough.
OK, thank you Habuman, I will try to play more with them in the setup or even conect them to VOL input, where's, as described, 200KΩ pot., besides, if you are saying others are using Dunlop with no issue, I should too ;). Thank you!

Last edited:
The Dunlop Mini has a switch to choose tip vs. ring polarity. It also has a trimpot to adjust minimum levels. Both of those need to be set correctly for proper function.

You said that you have “assigned them both I/O.” I don’t know what that means. They need to be assigned as “expression,”

Last edited:
I finally managed to get it to work. I just reverse one side of the TRS cable so the working scenario is: TRS <-> RTS.

Dunlop or Fractal manuals should mention this.

Thanks Habuman and Rex for all your help. I really appreciate it!

I finally managed to get it to work. I just reverse one side of the TRS cable so the working scenario is: TRS <-> RTS.

Dunlop or Fractal manuals should mention this.

Thanks Habuman and Rex for all your help. I really appreciate it!
Cool. I’m glad you got it working.

The Dunlop Mini has a polarity switch that can do that tip/ring swap for you. :)

Cool. I’m glad you got it working.

The Dunlop Mini has a polarity switch that can do that tip/ring swap for you. :)
Hi, Rex.

Thank you for your post.

Nope, polarity switch just change (reverse) heel and toe position (changing pin 1 and 3 of the potentiometer).
In this case I have changed 1 and 3 pin of POT in respect to taper. Seems POT inside Dunlop mini is LOG, not LIN type.
In Fractal user manual is stated the cable is straight (Sleeve goes to Sleeve, Tip goes to Tip and Ring goes to Ring), but that does not work well on my Dunlop mini (I've got two, both working just the same way).
I have to point out It was working, but non-lineary, and I couldn't adjust the curve to suits my needs.
Working cable is now: TRS < --------------- > RTS.
Maybe they made it (both of them) another way, but so it is.
Believe it, I tried the first to swap the inner switch, and I noticed heel and toe swap. Thanks.

PS: Once I bought Eventide H9, and came DOA. I first checked and measured power supply voltage, and it was present, but then I noticed + and - were reversed; according to schematic on the box. I didn't bother distributor, just cut the cable, swapped wires and wailllaaaa...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom