exodus guitar tone

Dan G

Hey guys, got my Axe II a few weeks back and was so busy I hadn't had time to fiddle with it properly. Until now. Anyway, here's my first attempt at a custom patch - trying to get close to Andy Sneap's awesomely crunchy and trebley Exodus tone. This is just a quickly recorded riff from Tempo of The Damned.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11702056/Exodus-tone-test-rough.mp3

Any thoughts or criticism welcome!

EDIT: here is the patch and some info

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11702056/Exodus.syx

Played through a blackmachine with an EMG 81. It's the Das Metal amp - can't remember what cabs. I find a 57mic mixed with a hefty but careful amount of tweaking on the proximity effect parameter can be quite useful.

Last edited:
Nice. I saw them a little while ago over in San Fran. Gary's Engl died in the middle of the second to last song. Great show though.

That tone is definitely Exodus so good job. Is his tone that trebly live though? I personally like the Pleasures of the Flesh tone the best but you really did nail the vibe of Andy's tone. Again, good work.

I don't know anything about Exodus, but that sounded mean as hell. Nice job.

Please post the patch and info on the guitar and pu's used etc.

cheers,
Steve

wow, I grew up bay area, and lived on thrash, love new exodus and you NAILED IT. Please share, I always do.

Sounds killer! They say... whatever music most moved you during your teens, will be the music you keep coming back to. Being a teen of the 80's, I (still) get giddy over thrash metal riffs!

Well I have PM'd the OP and nothing, guess some people want help and opinions but just arent willing to give back...I personally dont agree with this approach.:roll

Woah! That's as trebly as a pigeon failing to fly away from the highway in time. I love it! It's got that cutting edge, that gulliotinesharp axe-swing with a chopping thump to it.

If it's to miss something it would be this:

Edit: Playing both these clips as the same time sounds killer! Try it :D

Well I have PM'd the OP and nothing, guess some people want help and opinions but just arent willing to give back...I personally dont agree with this approach.:roll

Well let's give the guy a break, he hasn't posted anywhere else on the forum since that first post, so maybe he's busy. Let's give him a day or two. And by then if he hasn't posted the patch, THEN let's go find him and lynch him! :twisted :lol

Well let's give the guy a break, he hasn't posted anywhere else on the forum since that first post, so maybe he's busy. Let's give him a day or two. And by then if he hasn't posted the patch, THEN let's go find him and lynch him! :twisted :lol

agreed, also if he wants I will walk him through how to upload, as I have for many, open offer.

Yeah, or some people have been away for christmas and only just got back on the intenet/in reach of an axe during the last 24 hours!

Anyway, yeah I'm more than happy to share this preset - will get on that asap. Cheers for the feedback guys :)

Whole thing sounded pro studio quality to me, could make an album with that sound and i wouldn't know it was a PC (or mac) recording. What's your setup?

Yeah, or some people have been away for christmas and only just got back on the intenet/in reach of an axe during the last 24 hours!

Anyway, yeah I'm more than happy to share this preset - will get on that asap. Cheers for the feedback guys :)

My bad, egg on my face, JUST SUPER EXCITED TO HEAR YOUR SHREDDING TONE, which is one Ive REALLY wanted, apologies for my impetuousness, (putting away lynching paraphenalia):eek:ops

Whole thing sounded pro studio quality to me, could make an album with that sound and i wouldn't know it was a PC (or mac) recording. What's your setup?

Cheers dude, just running protools (still 7.4... haha) on a iMac. Guitar was a blackmachine custom with EMG 81 in bridge. Bass kinda adds a lot of the sound to the guitars, although I just programmed the bass from notes that I chopped up and cut/pasted from the last time I recorded a real bass! (just a sansamp RBI rackmount and a left pretty flat)
Drums were just cymbals from the old Drumkit from hell but I used some kick and snare samples that I took from the last protools session from a thrash band I recorded a while back.

The tone is super trebly which isn't what I'd normally do, but had a quick check at the exodus EQ on tempo for the damned (just ran a frequency analyser on some a bit where it's just guitars) and there was a ton of highs in there (except a pretty big dip around 6k)

Back
Top Bottom