Examining frequency response of 3rd party IR's

deathbyguitar

Power User
I've been using a certain cab simulator VST for a few years because it's way easier to get it to sound I want verses ever other set of IR’s I’ve tried. Thing is..I want to know WHY.

Not entirely sure which route to take, but I think I may need to try and create IR’s of the plugin’s settings that I use so I can look at the frequency response on a graph or something later. This way I’ll be able to see exactly what frequencies are different compared to everything else I’ve been using. Does this make sense? Is this the best way of going about this? Also, I have no idea what that process would even entail. :lol

I realize this is effectively reverse engineering (which is why I haven’t stated what plugin it is), but I have no intention to sell anything I’m planning on extracting.I just wanna figure out how to EQ other IR's to sound how I like. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Well, you could start by pumping white noise (or pink) through your cab sim, and recording that for reference - then do a Axe-FXII 'tone match' to that recording using the same original white noise source as your input... theoretically.

Can you get your cab simulator VST plugin and the FAS CabLab plugin both running in your DAW?

If so then you could run the same test signal through each and compare the results.

I think using the DAW would be the easiest.

sine sweep -> cab simultator VST -> freq analyzer

I use bluecat audio's freq analyzer plug in ProTools. It can plot multiple sources at once and even show the difference plot.

Actually, can't you just shoot a cab of your plugin? In other words, make a user cab in Axe-FXII, but substitute your 'power amp and speaker-cab and mic' with your plugin in/out instead. Easy as pie.
You capture your plugin into the Axe-FXII itself, and the Axe shows a graph of the result.

Back
Top Bottom