EVM 12S?

sprada

Inspired
Hey everyone.
Has anyone tried an EVM 12S speaker?
I like the idea of having a high powered 1x12 cab to lug around for gigs.
I've been trying to find a Thiele cab with EVM 12L but came across with one with a EVM 12S instead.
I never heard this speaker and I have no way of trying.
Any experience with these?
Asking price is 430€.
I feel it might be on the pricier side and I might just wait.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_123121_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_123121_Facebook.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240212_123103_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_123103_Facebook.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 6
The 12S is a wonderful speaker, I used them for years with Mesa and Soldano rack rigs. It’s basically a 12L with a slightly shorter cone to focus the tone more to guitar-specific frequencies. EV intended it to be the main guitar speaker, but the market at the time had already latched on to the 12L and it died on the vine as the lesser known younger sibling. It’s a shame, too, as it was a fine speaker. Better than the 12L? That’s in the ear of the player. But every bit it’s equal in construction and quality.

They are hard to find. You’re lucky to get a chance to check it out. I finally sold my stash of three of them last year, having accepted that I’m not likely to build any more cabs. Otherwise, I’d have kept right on using them!

The EV is a great choice for a powerful single 1x12.
But be aware that at low volume levels it'll sound great with clean tones (that's why they are in some Fender cabs) but totally not with distorted tones.

The EV is a great choice for a powerful single 1x12.
But be aware that at low volume levels it'll sound great with clean tones (that's why they are in some Fender cabs) but totally not with distorted tones.
That is fine I guess. This would be purely for gigging.

That is fine I guess. This would be purely for gigging.
I used a pair of them in Thiele cabs, and it was killer. Authoritative and clear… really lets you hear the amp and guitar. As Yek mentions, it’s a “truthful” speaker, as is the 12L. It likes taking advantage of its strength, and doesn’t wither at volume. I look forward to hearing your impressions of it.

On a last minute turn I might have the chance to grab a mesa thiele with an EVM-12L from a forum member. The 12L was the speaker I was looking for. I might go for this instead. Not sure.

Last edited:
The 12S is a wonderful speaker, I used them for years with Mesa and Soldano rack rigs. It’s basically a 12L with a slightly shorter cone to focus the tone more to guitar-specific frequencies. EV intended it to be the main guitar speaker, but the market at the time had already latched on to the 12L and it died on the vine as the lesser known younger sibling. It’s a shame, too, as it was a fine speaker. Better than the 12L? That’s in the ear of the player. But every bit it’s equal in construction and quality.

They are hard to find. You’re lucky to get a chance to check it out. I finally sold my stash of three of them last year, having accepted that I’m not likely to build any more cabs. Otherwise, I’d have kept right on using them!
Always liked the S better than the L and now I know why.

On a last minute turn I might have the chance to grab a mesa thiele with an EVM-12L from a forum member. The 12L was the speaker I was looking for. I might go for this instead. Not sure.
It’s a great speaker cab, so it’s hard to go wrong either way.

Back
Top Bottom