EVH 5150 III 50W Head Discussion

Phostenix

Power User
There are a couple of long threads on The Gear Page about the new 50 watt version of Fender's EVH 5150 III head & its associated 2X12 and 4X12 speaker cabinets, including this one:

EVH 5150 III 50W Part II - The Gear Page

Some thoughts:

People are raving about this amp (and the 100W version).

Howard Kaplan of Fender/EVH is participating in the discussion & providing lots of good information about engineering decisions & availability.

Fender seems to be having a hard time making enough of these things to satisfy the demand.

EVH customers can be as obnoxious as FAS customers. :)

There are some clips that sound REALLY great (mic'd cabs).

Ch 1 & Ch 2 share controls on the 50W head, so there is an ongoing discussion about not being able to match the volume when switching between channels - especially for live players. Fender/EVH has decided not to modify the amp, so that's the way it will be with the 50W head.

As usual, the amp sounds best loud.

There is quite a bit of discussion about connecting up effects & how best to record the amp.

All of this makes me very excited about the upcoming models that Cliff has made of (I believe) the 100W head and it makes me very happy to have a box that I can record easily, integrate all effects with ease, and can set volume levels at will for any setting. And even though there's a part of me that is interested in the 5150 III, all of the talk has convinced me that I still much prefer having the Axe. I can't wait for the 5150 models.

nothing deep to say, but it is the best head i've heard for high gain metal sounds imo. really good addition to axe-fx2 this should be - interested in hearing the results

AdamCook said:
It would be good to get some IR's of the actual 5150 III cabs to go with the model of the 100W head that will be in 6.01.

Any users out there own one of these?

Came up in another thread and it's on my todo list for this weekend. I have to pick up an sm-57 and I will IR capture the cab this weekend. I have the head and cab and love them together!!!

I'm hoping for a FW release today which will coincide with my IR capture.

Anybody want to go to TC and do an IR capture of these cabs. Cmon....it will be fun and you can use GC equipment with the AXE. :p

Haha, that would be funny. If someone does that, they have to make a video and show the face of the employees when you activate the sweep to capture the IR.
LMFAO just thinking about it.

Browsed the thread. why I don't miss that forum.
Lots of people talking about how wonderful the 4CM is with the 5153... and their HD500.

WTH? Drop big money on a great tube amp and then stomp on it with L6 converters... twice? Great call!

Back
Top Bottom