Everything will be alright ....

Well, it seems you're displacing your anger on me with that post.

As far as it being 'okay' with me...I would say it has NOTHING to do with me, so it's more acceptance of the way things are. I still think my argument stands that most electrified guitar work these days is derivative. That DOESN'T MEAN it's not excellent, but rarely groundbreaking. You put 'regurgitating' into my post, when I do allow that there are guitarists that are doing innovative stuff....but it's not remotely mainstream (I think I've posted about Naia Izumi...look that one up.) Daring things are always being done in the Prog world, but again, it's something that won't get significant airplay.

Many guitarists (Bonamassa, Gary Clark, and more) are not having problems paying the bills...they're out there. If you look around, there is more overall young guitar talent out there than we've ever had. But a return to 'guitar god' stature? Don't see it happening.

IMO.

As a final note, rather than bemoan it's decline, I enjoy that I'm able to go do small venues and see phenomenal guitarists close up. You speak as if it's dead, but in fact it is just not as mainstream as it was...but not any less vibrant if you look around.

R

Reactions: Fro
I've got the impression that at least here in Europe rock music is doing fine. Ok, the bands are not becoming nearly as rich as their predecessors have in the 80s but they can still play in front of maybe 10000 and not to forget about the festival season. I agree that record sales are no longer the major part of a bands income so they're forced to tour their butts off and try to sell as much merchandise as possible up to a point where the music itself becomes secondary. You better think twice before going the rock start route, it's a lot of hard and tedious work. But still I see enough people going to the shows and enjoy the power.

Back
Top Bottom