"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" outro solo

I used 7.0 and a simplified version of Merlin's "JC 120 LEAD.syx" patch from this thread: Tonematched my Roland JC 120 (Steve Rothery Marillion patch)

I made the following changes to Merlin's patch, in some cases enabling effects he'd added but bypassed:

• replaced Tone Match block with stock JC120
  • reduced gain on Rat Distortion to ~7
  • enabled compressor
  • added a tube screamer to front of the chain, drive at ~3
  • enabled the enhancer
  • enabled the multi-band comp and set its 2nd frequency to 3.2 KHz
  • removed most of the bypassed effects blocks, in order to cut back on CPU usage
On my unit, Merlin's original patch was pinning the CPU meter at 98% which made me a bit uncomfortable. This was my main reason for trying to economize with a modified version. Also I had been researching Orzabal's original gear from the 80s and learned from Simeon right here on the FAS forum that 1) actually, the solo was played by session guitarist Neil Taylor, and 2) Taylor's tone was a minimalist JC120 rig.

But I'm ignorant about these amps. As a metal guitarist I don't have much experience with clean tones, so I found Merlin's patch. Sadly the tone matching didn't seem to give me a good result with my particular guitar, so I swapped out that block and started tweaking from there.

Here's the result through a Steinberger GR4 hardtail, middle pup only:

I have to say I'm amazed at how the AxeFX II's sound feels so realistic, even during such non-linear things like a sustained, wide vibrato. Such innovation in recreating schematics and integrating all the necessary parts, then we have the no-apologies, no-nonsense approach to software and product design and revisions. Truly, we're all just along for the ride.

First, thanks to Cliff and all the crew... it's worth every penny to have such a painless way to just plug in and dial really fun tones that mix well and don't fatigue the ear. What a great time to be alive.

Second, thanks to the community here at FAS forums. Because of you I was able to research the actual hardware I wanted to model and then get a running start on the tone itself! :mrgreen

Last edited:
As was Vanai's on the video he posted. But the sound was great. This one sounds good also. They must know it'
s clipping-I would think. Makes me wonder :)

Actually I hadn't noticed, was zoned out in my headphones. Not sure where the clipping was happening, it might have been at the cam input. I'm glad it was pointed out to me. Will have to be more careful.

If it's just a drum or something causing a
Quick red light clip, that shouldn't be bad right? I know clipping is bad, buy sometimes things just edge over the peak and trigger "clip". Fair assessment?

I ask that because I see my output clip sometimes when it is due to a sharp peak, but does not seem to affect the sound

It affects the sound if you're monitoring or recording through the USB - i.e. digital clipping. You will most certainly hear this as digital clipping affects the signal at the sample level and not just the peaks like in an audio waveform. The audio outputs, as with any analogue audio source, are more forgiving whilst digital clipping would result in what can be described as gross distortion of the signal. Digital clipping typically renders the sound non-usable - if you ain't going for the Atari Teenage Riot sound.

Also, if you're monitoring the Axe-FX through the audio outputs but recording through the digital - this is where you must pay attention to the little red light. It's indicating to you that your signal is at the clipping level and that you will most likely loose information in the digital outputs - although you may not hear it as such while monitoring through the audio outs. Just a reminder if you're ever to record something of value, like your guitar parts in a live recording or a killer one take solo that you will never replicate again...

It affects the sound if you're monitoring or recording through the USB - i.e. digital clipping. You will most certainly hear this as digital clipping affects the signal at the sample level and not just the peaks like in an audio waveform. The audio outputs, as with any analogue audio source, are more forgiving whilst digital clipping would result in what can be described as gross distortion of the signal. Digital clipping typically renders the sound non-usable - if you ain't going for the Atari Teenage Riot sound.

Also, if you're monitoring the Axe-FX through the audio outputs but recording through the digital - this is where you must pay attention to the little red light. It's indicating to you that your signal is at the clipping level and that you will most likely loose information in the digital outputs - although you may not hear it as such while monitoring through the audio outs. Just a reminder if you're ever to record something of value, like your guitar parts in a live recording or a killer one take solo that you will never replicate again...

Makes sense. I was using the analog outs to feed the Canon's mic input. I need to improve my gain staging.

Very nice bolt. You played that better and more faithfully than I do and I thought I had it pretty much nailed. I noticed you're doing some different stuff than I do. Do you have a transcription of that or did you dork that up? If you have a transcription do you care to share?

Never knew Orzabal didn't play that but it does have that 80's session player flavor to it so now it all makes sense.

Very nice bolt. You played that better and more faithfully than I do and I thought I had it pretty much nailed. I noticed you're doing some different stuff than I do. Do you have a transcription of that or did you dork that up? If you have a transcription do you care to share?

Never knew Orzabal didn't play that but it does have that 80's session player flavor to it so now it all makes sense.

Uh...I meant to say "work that up" so my apologies if you were insulted. I did get a chuckle thinking what people must have been thinking when they read that. Either sloppy typing or auto correct. Ah well.

Back
Top Bottom