Every guitarist knows this pain

Not to be pedantic, but I'm not sure Joe was really put on the spot there. I'm sure they knew well in advance what topics are being covered before they walk into the studio. Joe looked like he was expecting that question before it was all the way out of Howard's mouth.

Just remember that the primary reason for that appearance was to promote the upcoming tour, which is far enough out that they likely haven’t even begun rehearsals for yet.

OMG, I can’t believe this is what all the fuss was about. This is my first time actually seeing and hearing this. I have heard everyone’s opinions from nobodies to various famous guitarists. I purposely didn’t want to watch it partially because I can’t stand the sight or sound of Stern and his walking and talking neuroses and for some reason I had a feeling it was much ado about nothing.

It’s quite clear that Joe will be able to handle the intro to MS once he gets a bit of practice. The syncopation of the very first section needs to be drilled into your head until it’s second nature. You can tell Joe hasn’t done that yet. Also, doing it slow is actually harder than doing it at speed. Finally, no one will ever be able to do EVH like EVH. That’s why he was EVH!! Joe will be a good one to make an acceptable go at it.

I love Joe, and pretty sure he will be able to play everything perfect by the tour start. He is one of my heroes!
However I am not sure if he was the best choice for the job. For example Pete Thorn's or Phil-X 's energy would be a better match IMHO. Joe is mallow, kind, polite, usually stands in one place (due to excessive wah usage in his music) and kind of hard to imagine him playing "I ain't talking about love" or "Jump", because he has a different vibe. He has the Joe vibe that we love.

Edit: Just like Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Slash wouldn't have been a good match and not because they would not be able to play like Edward.

I love Joe, and pretty sure he will be able to play everything perfect by the tour start. He is one of my heroes!
However I am not sure if he was the best choice for the job. For example Pete Thorn's or Phil-X 's energy would be a better match IMHO. Joe is mallow, kind, polite, usually stands in one place (due to excessive wah usage in his music) and kind of hard to imagine him playing "I ain't talking about love" or "Jump", because he has a different vibe. He has the Joe vibe that we love.

Edit: Just like Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Slash wouldn't have been a good match and not because they would not be able to play like Edward.
This is sort of my point. If anyone is thinking and if Sammy or whoever acts like this is going to be like seeing VH then that’s a mistake. Not that they’re acting like that for the most part. I agree that there was probably better choices like Nuno Bettencourt, but like many he’s a bit preoccupied with his own stuff. Pete Thorn is a pretty mellow guy. Phil X would have been interesting. Basically EVH had a “vibe” that won’t be matched. The other thing that makes Joe a good choice is he already has a good (at least I think) rapport with Michael Anthony and Sammy from Chickenfoot.

#MyTake. Sammy's doing a tour with Chickenfoot (basically). The top priority isn't finding the best candidate to ape EVH. Sammy wants to play with folks he vibes with. Sammy and Mike decided to do a lot of VH tunes, which is awesome, as well as Sammy stuff and Chickenfoot stuff. I'm sure it'll be a fun show! Joe can play anything he sets his mind to. If you're expecting this to be a show that mimics VH, you're approaching it the wrong way IMO. I think a lot of this goes to the fact that there's so much love of EVH that people have lots of strong opinions.

I'm of the opinion that Sammy going out on the road with a guy that can 99% mimic EVH wouldn't necessarily make the best show as it's not about that. The band with Sammy, Joe, Michael, and Jason seems like great chemistry and they'll put on great shows.

Back
Top Bottom