Ever ship your Axe-FX UPS in a 3u rack case?

Daveis

Inspired
Have you ever shipped your Axe FX in a rack case inside a box? is this a good idea? Any chance UPS will bend the rack ears? Where do you find good packing boxes?

No but I've shipped many servers and other electronics, my recommendation is shove a bunch of beefy foam inside the rack case between the FX so there is no stress points on those ears.. Cant comment on if its good idea, but I can say make sure the case has plenty of bubble or popcorn between the exterior box and your rack those UPS people are angry and not afraid to show it on heavy packages.

No but I've shipped many servers and other electronics, my recommendation is shove a bunch of beefy foam inside the rack case between the FX so there is no stress points on those ears.. Cant comment on if its good idea, but I can say make sure the case has plenty of bubble or popcorn between the exterior box and your rack those UPS people are angry and not afraid to show it on heavy packages.
I always say, you pay people minimum wage and they will put in minimum performance.

It’s a pain to store shipping boxes but I wish I had the forethought to keep them. I’ve sold three pieces of Axe FX gear over the years.

The rack ears getting bent is probably the main damage point. I wonder if Fractal could sell replacement rack ears.

I did pose an email question to Fractal to see if they could sell a double box suitable for shipping. I suppose with enough card board, foam and duct tape you could fashion your own box.

Yeah a piece of computer server hardware would be very close in terms of weight and cost.

It’s a pain to store shipping boxes but I wish I had the forethought to keep them. I’ve sold three pieces of Axe FX gear over the years.

The rack ears getting bent is probably the main damage point. I wonder if Fractal could sell replacement rack ears.

I did pose an email question to Fractal to see if they could sell a double box suitable for shipping. I suppose with enough card board, foam and duct tape you could fashion your own box.

Yeah a piece of computer server hardware would be very close in terms of weight and cost.
you know you might try some spray foam insulation for a more precise fit GreatStuff_HomeDepot just a thought, I'd defiantly would not use duck tape, be sure to use packaging tape as duck tape will fall off the box.

@DaveO good idea using spray foam for a custom fit. I should have asked around for a computer server box. I know Staples will sell packing supplies.

Go to a storage facility or anyone that you know that lives in a condo and or apartment, lots of good options for free packaging materials there. Also if you live close to a data center/noc they usually have pallets of heavy duty cardboard thats ideal to ship. or even a garbage area for a class A building would be good.

Never underestimate UPS’s ability to rough up your packages. My package arrived without any obvious physical damage but now the unit boots up to a frozen white screen.

Back
Top Bottom