Ever give up playing?

Yep. I quit in 2014. I had been working full time as a musician for 10 years. I hated it for the last couple of years, it was only a pay check in the end. After I ended up in hospital (long story), I totally quit when I got home. Sold of most of my guitars etc.

It took about a year or two before somebody put a guitar in my hands at a social get together. Felt so weird at first, like learning to walk after an injury. Like, I KNOW how to do this, but my muscles and movements didn't cooperate. After that, I started picking up a guitar we had at work on breaks and stuff. My boss at the time was also a guitar player. When he learned that I didn't even own an electric anymore, he pretty much forced me to take his old Fender home.

So little by little, I got to playing for real again. I got my own electrics again etc. Ended up doing gigs again, but more for fun that anything else. Nowadays, I play constantly, and have done for some years. I can easily sit all day and play if I have the time. Music is fun again!

I had a similar experience. My band had a four year run with a house gig where we were playing three and four nights a week, every week, for that entire time. By the end of that run I was just sick of it, and it was definitely a job and not fun anymore. I packed everything up for about a year, but I didn't sell anything.

One of the other side effects of that stint was that I had developed a drinking habit that got out of control, so that complicated things for a number of years afterward until I got my head back on straight and got sober.

Currently I enjoy playing more than ever before, but my focus has been home recording and getting together with friends when time permits. I've sat in with a few different bands over the years and enjoyed it, but I'm not really interested in making live playing a regular thing again, even if it were just once a month.

Back
Top Bottom