Eventide H90, can it do anything AxeFX cant?

so I tested the H90 again this morning. I think the reverbs and flangers sound “thicker” on the Eventide but most of what i get out of the Fractal is better. The wormhole reverb is excellent on the h90.

Fwiw, I find if you put a FET or SDD drive pedal with low gain in front on any of the flangers or phasers you get a much more realistic analog sound for that pedal clone. I think it adds some latency but the fractal latency is already so low it doesn’t really matter.

I run the AxeFX3 with an H-9000 in the "FX loop", which I can place anywhere I want in a scene. I do not think they overlap, there is a thread I started on this that discusses it. The you can do anything in the AxeFX can be partially true, but it's not what it can do, it's what is already done and has been cultivated since the 70's in the case of Eventide. It's not only a black box, it is a curated history of FX. Are every one of them that important, no, but there are more than a few that are signature and I do not think you can easily accomplish with the AxeFX, if at all.

To me it matters the most how it Sounds …..I know the Fractals can do everything the Eventide can do with multiple blocks and stuff but I myself really like the ‘tone’ of the Eventide FX….. bit more heavier, thicker…. Fractal is very neutral IMHO. So will get the H90 for sure for my Tube Amp + Suhr Reactive Load IR Rig and H90 stereo FX :)
I agree. I sometimes run a nice chain on AFX3 into the H-9000 just for a single Eventide algo as the "sauce".

I also really like the eventide sound. over the years I've had an H8000, most of the factor pedals, and an H9. All were sold/returned for the same reason - software glitches like the wet sound suddenly goes dry, delay stops repeating, units freeze up, it seemed I was always power cycling these to recover from one bug or another. For some reason, I keep trying them hoping these are isolated incidents and just bad luck in timing gear purchases with respect to software update releases.

So I've had my eye on the H90 for a while and picked one up yesterday. updated the firmware, got it all hooked up to the Axe FX and was trying the presets one after another, I made it to #14 when the whole thing froze up, nothing was working, knobs/switches were dead. so 15 minutes into checking out my new eventide toy I was back to power cycling an eventide to get it to work.

I've had an AXE FX for 2 years or so and I have yet to have FX dropping out for no reason, audio glitches, or the whole thing freezing up on me...maybe I can't quite get the eventide sound on the AXE but I am happy to keep the gear that just works. every. time.

The reverbs on Fractal feel
I run the AxeFX3 with an H-9000 in the "FX loop", which I can place anywhere I want in a scene. I do not think they overlap, there is a thread I started on this that discusses it. The you can do anything in the AxeFX can be partially true, but it's not what it can do, it's what is already done and has been cultivated since the 70's in the case of Eventide. It's not only a black box, it is a curated history of FX. Are every one of them that important, no, but there are more than a few that are signature and I do not think you can easily accomplish with the AxeFX, if at all.
I wish the H9000 had the ability to run all the effects in 96 KHZ. I would definitely want one. For some reason even the newer effects are still limited to 48 KHZ. I don't know why you'd design that limitation.

The reverbs on Fractal feel

I wish the H9000 had the ability to run all the effects in 96 KHZ. I would definitely want one. For some reason even the newer effects are still limited to 48 KHZ. I don't know why you'd design that limitation.
Couldn’t you run 4 analog that only run at 48 then run digital the ones you want at 96 that can do it??

...got it all hooked up to the Axe FX and was trying the presets one after another, I made it to #14 when the whole thing froze up, nothing was working, knobs/switches were dead...
my worse nightmare :(
good thing is that Eventide stands by is products if anything permanently glitches...

See what you get from Gibson out of warranty.
apt analogy sir 👏
i unabashedly love the pedal, EFX, amp, and modeler companies from whom i've purchased products - they represent the best of what a(n) MI company should be (IMHO:p)
guitar companies (the Big 2) on the other hand... and maybe it's the customer base...YMMV, i don't know, but they are definitely "all over the place" when i comes to servicing their products :p:p

apt analogy sir 👏
i unabashedly love the pedal, EFX, amp, and modeler companies from whom i've purchased products - they represent the best of what a(n) MI company should be (IMHO:p)
guitar companies (the Big 2) on the other hand... and maybe it's the customer base...YMMV, i don't know, but they are definitely "all over the place" when i comes to servicing their products :p:p
They basically told me to throw my KRK monitors in the river. They would not help with a simple tweeter. Wouldn’t sell me a part, wouldn’t repair them at my own cost and wouldn’t even recommend a replacement. Wait until they fully get their policies into Mesa. They’ll ruin them, too.

apt analogy sir 👏
Fender and the Fender brands I’ve always gotten positive feedback from. To be perfectly honest. Had warranty work done at a guitar center. They made it simple. Can’t complain.

Self explanatory. I know some algorithms are somewhat unique, but I feel that we should be able to “fake” them using existing blocks. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

This pedal is getting a lot of hype, I’m looking for someone to talk me out of getting one :D
I bought one and returned it. It was very expensive and had some nice presets, but its mainly a delay/reverb thingy, and I returned it. Having the AXE is probably more than I can ever use, so maybe in 100 years when I master the AXE, I might buy it again. :p

Having the AXE is probably more than I can ever use
I see this comment frequently and it
puzzles me - seeming to equate Axfx as a large bucket of Amps/Fx to be consumed (or not). I'd suggest thinking of it as a the biggest box of crayons you saw in the store as a kid, providing whatever color variation inspires at any given moment, or a palette facilitating whatever picture you are asked to draw.

Doh! - I just drank the last beer.

Back
Top Bottom