EV2 mod

accuser

Not sure where to post this so I'll drop this here since I've got an FM3. :)

I am waiting for my ev2 to arrive and was thinking about a mod that could be useful - just not sure if possible.

Would it be possible to install a toe switch that when off enables volume control but disables expression and when on enables expression and disables volume control?

With the caveat that when one is disabled it would be as if it was completely toe down.

I realize I could just use a volume block and switch it on and off as I wish - but using the on-pedal volume control saves me DSP (as little as it is, it's still DSP).

I imagine this would be possible as the switch could just short tip to sleeve on either (or something like that) to create this effect. Would this be possible?

This would make the EV2 super flexible as both would be usable without ever needing to step on an external footswitch.

edit: woops - meant to drop in the FM3 area, but dropped it here - sorry! :) mods - feel free to move if needed

Last edited:
I realize I could just use a volume block and switch it on and off as I wish - but using the on-pedal volume control saves me DSP (as little as it is, it's still DSP).
It won't save you anything. Blocks use the same CPU whether or not they are enabled. If they're on the grid then they are processing signal.

You need to learn about auto engage on modifiers. You don't need a switch. Assign the pedal to control the volume block and enable auto engage on that modifier. Set OFF to be 95%.

But if your only goal is saving CPU, there's no benefit.

Using it for Wah or some other effect can be really useful.

Further, IF there was enough space then you probably could modify it but I don't think there's any space in the inside at that location.

It actually would save dsp. The mod I’m suggesting would use the ev2 physically for volume. So no volume block necessary. Would only save like 2% dsp, but still.

Either way, I opened up the ev2, there isn’t much space for a footswitch.

Either way, I believe the fm3 needs TRS for expression. I wouldn’t be able to use, for example, TS for exp and RS for switch (at least it doesn’t look like it).

May just need to stick to the modifiers and get used to autoengage.

It actually would save dsp. The mod I’m suggesting would use the ev2 physically for volume. So no volume block necessary. Would only save like 2% dsp, but still.

Either way, I opened up the ev2, there isn’t much space for a footswitch.

Either way, I believe the fm3 needs TRS for expression. I wouldn’t be able to use, for example, TS for exp and RS for switch (at least it doesn’t look like it).

May just need to stick to the modifiers and get used to autoengage.
My apologies, I somehow read right past the part where you mentioned that.

Yes, expression requires TRS.

Not sure where to post this so I'll drop this here since I've got an FM3. :)

I am waiting for my ev2 to arrive and was thinking about a mod that could be useful - just not sure if possible.

Would it be possible to install a toe switch that when off enables volume control but disables expression and when on enables expression and disables volume control?

With the caveat that when one is disabled it would be as if it was completely toe down.

I imagine this would be possible as the switch could just short tip to sleeve on either (or something like that) to create this effect. Would this be possible?

This would make the EV2 super flexible as both would be usable without ever needing to step on an external footswitch.

edit: woops - meant to drop in the FM3 area, but dropped it here - sorry! :) mods - feel free to move if needed
Hey! So have been on the waitlist for the ev-1 and ev-2 as well. So I didn't feel like waiting anymore so I found an expression pedal on amazon. It's the Paint audio. It works great and it's half the price at $70. You could get 2 for the price of 1. I am very skeptical when it comes to gear, but since Amazon's return policy is awesome I decided to take a chance and if it was junk I was just going to return it. But it was so good I bought another one! Here is the link. Paint Audio Foot Captain Dual... Amazon product ASIN B0C1ZRFN9K

Hey! So have been on the waitlist for the ev-1 and ev-2 as well. So I didn't feel like waiting anymore so I found an expression pedal on amazon. It's the Paint audio. It works great and it's half the price at $70. You could get 2 for the price of 1. I am very skeptical when it comes to gear, but since Amazon's return policy is awesome I decided to take a chance and if it was junk I was just going to return it. But it was so good I bought another one! Here is the link. Paint Audio Foot Captain Dual... Amazon product ASIN B0C1ZRFN9K
Those look really nice! Are they plastic?

I’m in Europe and don’t see them on Amazon Spain, but if they are nice I may be able to have a relative bring them over here.

Those look really nice! Are they plastic?

I’m in Europe and don’t see them on Amazon Spain, but if they are nice I may be able to have a relative bring them over here.
No, all metal, and has a good anti-slip material on the top part. Very surprised of the quality of this pedal. My bandmate has the actual EV-1, and this is just as smooth and well built as the Fractal. Also keep in mind, this is more along the size of an EV-2 pedal.

Man...I would love to order a couple of EV-2 pedals. They have been out of stock for a while. Sucks! Sounds like there are many of us waiting.

I got mine from g66 as I’m in Europe. But this pedal mentioned above seems like a good alternative. Even if temporary.

Might want to note that although the Paint Audio EXP has dual outputs, they are intended for using with either two devices simultaneously or matching the correct single output with a single device.(each output is wired differently). I suppose you could also hook both outputs up to the same device but there is no switch on the pedal to move between the two outputs. The differently wired outputs are configured to play nice with various different modelers and other devices. There is no toe-switch on these, not what you might assume when you see the dual outputs. They are very small and compact, which I actually like, but also have respectable but less sweep than some larger pedals might, as you would expect. They are metal not plastic and seem well made. Will have to see how the pot and mechanism hold up over time. Includes a TRS cable under the bottom part of packaging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom