EV ZLX 12p my two cents

And to be clear... I'm on the wait list for an FM9, and I intend to use the EVs with the new modeler. I guess we'll see if that works or not.

I am thinking that for rehearsals I would stand it up as it has better dispersion so the rest of the band can hear me better and for live I'd use it as a wedge because the rest of the band will get my signal through their stage monitors.....
They have a pretty flat response when on poles, which is good. I’d probably use them on short tripods behind me to maintain that, even for live use as the response will change if they are positioned like wedges. Try setting them on their ends if using them as wedges leads to boominess.

E50E4769-7067-451F-A2A4-BB95DDD3B2F4.png

I started out making the connections with normal 1/4" cables and seemed to have some noise but after switching to xlr cables the noise was gone....has anyone else had that issue ?
Without hearing the noise it’s hard to say, but XLR will be your best bet for low-noise. Set the Output level in the modeler to +4 dB. See Section 4 in the manual for more information.

Are there any users of ZLX-12P with current fractal devices here? I use a pair with my FM3 now and as I see the thread “flattening the headrush curve” with some global PEQ settings found by enthusiasts I’d like to know if someone already found such settings for these units also. I don’t have any monitors at home to try and find out by myself.
The Headrush cabinets tend to be boomy in my experience.

The frequency chart for these speakers looks pretty flat, especially the “Live” setting, but the chart is showing their response on poles. The response will change if they are laid flat on a stage so try keeping them off the floor and away from a wall and they should sound great.

Be sure to EQ your presets at stage volume. A global EQ can help if they get too much low-end when on the floor.

The response will change if they are laid flat on a stage so try keeping them off the floor and away from a wall and they should sound great.

Be sure to EQ your presets at stage volume. A global EQ can help if they get too much low-end when on the floor.
Greg, I think this is true for any cabinet - the sound is always affected by where it sits and what it is in contact with - for me, I can usually tweak to satisfaction using the front knobs on the Fractal- just tonestack adjustments. The nice thing about the EVs is they actually publish the frequency response - most other manufacturer’s don’t do that, so it’s more trial and error.

Greg, I think this is true for any cabinet - the sound is always affected by where it sits and what it is in contact with - for me, I can usually tweak to satisfaction using the front knobs on the Fractal- just tonestack adjustments. The nice thing about the EVs is they actually publish the frequency response - most other manufacturer’s don’t do that, so it’s more trial and error.
It is true of all speakers, it’s just how physics works.

I use the EV PXM-12MP cabs, which are basically very flat-sounding floor monitors with several usable ways of positioning them. Because they’re made for the floor their half-space is a flat response which works well as FRFRs. A number of people here have been using them.

Search the forums for the model number and you’ll find a couple places I uploaded their frequency response charts. They are useful for finding the flattest setting, but don’t help with adjusting the speakers to deal with different rooms or stages. To do that I have a preset consisting of a Synth —> Out 1, with the Synth set to Sine. With the rig at stage volume I sweep the frequency from 200 Hz down and listen for resonances then reduce those in the global EQ, rinse and repeat.

PS - I don’t adjust my EQ using the Amp tone controls because that changes the sound of the amp, and I want that consistent. I set that using good quality headphones with a compensating curve at volume when I build up the preset, then remove the compensation, and finish building the preset and save it. When I get setup to play I only adjust the overall sound for the room because I know the presets already sound good and I trust the speakers and the FOH feed to reproduce the sound.

Last edited:
Oops, it seems today the bass speaker have died :(
I live on Samui island in Thailand and have no idea where I can find a qualified service here.
Any ideas what I can do myself with that?
I've heard some noise when I plugged in my e-drums in one unit and after that only trebles are coming out...

Back
Top Bottom