EV ZLX-12P First Day

Hi El , welcome to the clan. At 0 DB testing on twin reverb setting, the speakers are starting to growl but nothing like Zents rattle. I obviously cant play at that volume for more than 10 secs in a NYC apartment.EL, I suggest you play canned music for at least 18 hours, it doesn't have to be loud, to break them in and see how they feel. I got about 10 more hours to go. Zent, If you were in NYC I would say come over and tell me what you think. I know you like them so I suggest you give it another try. This pair don't appear to have the same issues.

Matched what you gave me for live/monitor. Using LES Paul with Burstbucker 3 on bridge pick up and PAF on rhythm ..No rattle from speakers. The rest of my apartment is rattling but not the speaker.

Excellent...looks like you scored. This guy from TGP posted this today though so there is something to what I experienced other than me being a bit too picky:

" I was able to reproduce the rattle that zentman got with his. However, despite running them at max dB on several patches, the rattle didn't seem nearly as pronounced as what I heard in the posted video. It's definitely there, but I'm only really getting it at the highest volumes and on certain notes, as mentioned before. Perhaps this varies on a speaker to speaker basis, or I'm just having trouble hearing it at volume."

Again, not a deal breaker for most normal folks but I am just weird that way. :)

Hi Zentman, I am still in the process of trying shake loose anything that will come loose, till my neighbors get home at 6:00 pm. I will keep you posted. By the way, I raised the treble EQ +2 DB to fix that drop on the chart at 5K (see chart on other post) and seem to match my Mackie HR 824 home monitors. Really surprising at this price point! On another note, my EV's did look like they were repacked(sloppy extra layers of tape), so they may have been fixed and sent back to Sam Ash, as they are a MAJOR buyer of a lot of products, ahead of other companies. If you still have your serial #s I will see if they ran after mine. If not, the new or fixed ones should hit the stores after the May 20 from what I have seen. :? I have always wanted to do a W/D/W FRFR system, but $3000 for 3 CLR's is out of my budget. Now I am thinking of keeping these for the Wet/Wet and using a CLR for the DRY in a W/D/W set up, for $2000 for 2 of these, 1 CLR and poles, covers and a small mixer:geek

Last edited:
I contacted EV about the ZLX issue, this is what they told me on Monday:

The re-wiring has been completed on the ZLX boxes. We started shipping this line the week of April 26th - the boxes that have been shipped have all be re-worked.
Due to the high demand, we are back ordered on the this series approximately 1 1/2 weeks for new orders submitted.

Been using mine for around 6 months, no issues whatsoever. Great little box for the $.

Ok, gonna hit the button. Quite some people tell they sound as good or even better than k12's. Aside that I'm not I could always trust used speakers. So gonna start of with one new zlx12p.

Got my ZLX12p today. Only had time for a quick spin, but have to say I most certainly sounds already better than my previous GT800fx+Marshall 1936 configuration. Mark Day's Friedman BE is one of my prefered patches. A lot of other higher gain patches sound too waspy in comparison. But now I can start tweaking stuff. Exited to see where I get and if it can compete with my Marshall heads.

I really like the build. Seems very solid and decent, absolutely no downsides there after my first impression. Feels a lot more thought trough compared to the ZX1's I used to own with my ultra long time ago.

Keep you posted

Got my ZLX12p today. Only had time for a quick spin, but have to say I most certainly sounds already better than my previous GT800fx+Marshall 1936 configuration. Mark Day's Friedman BE is one of my prefered patches. A lot of other higher gain patches sound too waspy in comparison. But now I can start tweaking stuff. Exited to see where I get and if it can compete with my Marshall heads.

I really like the build. Seems very solid and decent, absolutely no downsides there after my first impression. Feels a lot more thought trough compared to the ZX1's I used to own with my ultra long time ago.

Keep you posted

so....how's it working for you? I am seriously considering this as an option to run along with a tube amp. Two of these and an amp would be a nice w/d/w setup...assuming they sound good=)

really sounds better than the GT/Marshall cab?

Bro's I have the more expensive ev livex 112 p; nothing can match these at this price point/much higher. Mine are real wood, no dsp stuff. Ive had for 3? years, 2 of them. Love them. Sure sounds enticing when someone glows about their clr's but Im glowing about these. I put regular music through em all the time and Jam along. I for sure put them up (on tables), turn off the full range (way too much bass in small untreated bedroom, and turn down the lows and up the highs on the master eq in the axe. I truly believe that is just due to my bouncing reverberating smallish room with speakers in corners and no base traps; I doubt there is a sound I cant get, from amazing piezo acoustic sounds to all out crushing quad track type chug metal. My only issue is they shine at volumes I cant deal with on a regular basis. very amp in room feel, but to get I wear fairly high end ear plugs.

Yeah I've been rocking the ZLX 15p for over a year now ( yeah the plastic ones )
no complaints at all sound great . Seems like a great value option.

Yeah so far this is perfect for my needs. They sound very clear. I also play music trough them and jam along, which was impossible with the matrix + marshall, beacause music sounded like garbage. Still have to experiment with a lot of other patches but I'm having too much fun with my regular patches for now ;)

I think the on board EQ which you can set to life which is quite flat gives the axe more potential. Music sounds beter when it's set to music, it adds the beafy base that makes Sony headphones seamingly stand out compared to my Beyer Dynamics which are quite neutral as well. You have to get used to that a bit hehe.

The matrix probably did it's job well, but combined with a Marshall G12T75's equiped cab, it had too much impact, and some amps just don't like these speakers, they're not voiced to that I guess.

These ZLXP's go way more tham loud enough and should I ever gig with this system, FOH can handle all the power I'd need for a bigger venue ;)

For about 300euro's ... shiajt... impossible to complain. I'm happy!

Hello people!
I know it's an old thread, but I want to share my unique experience with my zlx-12p's...
I've been using a pair of Ev's for a long time as my mains for small venues, pole mounted. Means all my mix (guitar, keyboards and vocals ) are going thru those speakers. Very happy with the clarity, power and fullness they provide.
But the most amazing part of the story is that they have survived a cat-5 hurricane! My house was completely destroyed by hurricane Maria (last year) and the zlx-12p's were pole mounted in my home studio. Between the rubles I found them in very bad shape. But even wet and dirty they powered on and sounded fantastic. Built like a tank had a new meaning for me after plugin the power cord just for curiosity, because I was convinced they were gone.
I bet there's no way one of those boutique frfr will be able to withstand the forces of nature the way my 2 ev's did.
Now, after some TLC, they look just like nothing happened...

Pics of after the hurricane and after some TLC (vacuum cleaner, small hammer, wd-40 and a can of spray).

Attachments

• 20171020_093328.jpg
    20171020_093328.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20171020_093342.jpg
    20171020_093342.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom