EV SXA250 - Stupid Deal of the Day

Webb

Power User
Just curious if anyone is using an EV SXA250 with their Axe Fx? The reviews I've read seem pretty positive and claim they react more like a guitar cab than other FRFR's. Musicians Friend has them as their stupid deal of the day for $399 while other places (Sam Ash, B&H) are selling them for $1,030.

Stupid Deal of the Day | SDOTD | Musician's Friend

I think a 15" speaker might be a little too big and slow for guitar only purposes.

Last edited:
I think a 15" speaker might be a little to big and slow for guitar only purposes.

Do you have any data that compares the speed of a 15 compared to a 12?

My experience with the SXA250 is very positive, with both program music and full band. This is a fantastic deal.

Ahh, I'm such a sucker for a good deal...I just ordered it. I wasn't even in the market as I currently use a Matrix GT800 to a Diezel 2x12 cabinet along with a pair of Yamaha HS-80's. But I figured I could always return it if I didn't like it.

Do you have any data that compares the speed of a 15 compared to a 12?

No, I don't. That's why I stated that it might be too slow. Just basing myself on what one of the P.A. guys told me when I was testing monitors in a store. I'm a total noob when it comes to P.A.-systems and just hoped the guy gave me correct information. ;)

It's a damn steal for that price!

Wow! I'm a sucker too ... I'm hoping to get an Axe 2 by the end of the year and run FRFR live. Too bad it's 49 lbs...looking for something REALLY lightweight.

Let us know how it is!

@Webb and anyone else who ordered this....what are your impressions?

I'm also a sucker for a deal, so ordered a pair of these during the stupid deal of the day. I haven't had a chance to crank these up in a proper setting yet, but so far they sound pretty good. I find the mids/highs to be fairly smooth and pleasant, but the lows are a bit hyped. However, I can easily dial down the low end with the onboard eq or within the axe-fx global eq. They'd probably sound even better on stands or otherwise decoupled from the floor.

I may ultimately change these out at some point for something a bit smaller, but I think they were definitely a good deal at that price.

Ahh, I'm such a sucker for a good deal...I just ordered it. I wasn't even in the market as I currently use a Matrix GT800 to a Diezel 2x12 cabinet along with a pair of Yamaha HS-80's. But I figured I could always return it if I didn't like it.

Just out of curiosity Webb, do you use the Yamaha HS-80's on stage? I'm kinda liking the idea of that over using a large PA Speaker.

Back
Top Bottom