EV PXM-12MP vs Atomic CLR Neo

The CLR came out first and really built a name, but other mfrs are catching up. The size of the PXM is compelling, so Atomic will need to address that I think. I'm not wild about the DSP in the PXM. Knobs are far more reliable than processors. Hopefully it will continue to work long-term. Of course I'm gigging a giant DSP strapped to another DSP, so...

I recently had an interaction with Tom King, the main man at Atomic. Tom was great to work with. He was helpful, knowledgeable and patient,

I was an early user of the Atomic Amplifire 3 and had several direct communications with Tom - not due to any problems or needing anything. He just was reaching out for some feedback etc. My direct dealings with him were all fine. When I made the move to AX8 (and later FM9) I sold my AF3. Having seen the Fractal light as it were.

I suspect that when the pandemic hit and all the supply chain issues came to the forefront it really hurt his ability to service (and deliver) his products. To some extent the solutions he needed probably weren't entirely in his control. That can be an awfully tough spot to dig out of.

I'll tell you who has really impressed me lately when it comes to customer attention is Dean Zelinsky of Dean Zelinsky Guitars. Earlier in the year I bought a used one out of curiosity (Tagliare) and when I reached out to them for additional info on my guitar I received a phone call from the man himself and he answered all of my questions. Even though I'd bought the guitar used - so I was surprised and impressed at that.

I just canceled my preorder which didn’t ship when it was supposed to- they refunded my money immediately- seems they’re still getting it together- really wanted to compare it to the EV but screw it im so happy with the EV there’s no need
The difference between the two is not that drastic! The CLR is a great monitor but so is the PMX! For me it was support, sound, price, footprint and weight. The EV won out in a few of the categories!

I recently had an interaction with Tom King, the main man at Atomic. Tom was great to work with. He was helpful, knowledgeable and patient, even though the problem I was asking for help with I could have solved on my own with a little more initiative on my part. What was disconcerting was the erratic communication. I asked for help via the Atomic support email address on April 10th. I received a response from Tom on April 14th saying that he would get back to me in the next few days because he was currently out of town. This was fine with me, and I thought was a reasonable response. Then, despite multiple additional email sent trying to setup a time to discuss the problem, I didn't hear from him for close to 2 months. When I finally did hear from him his service was top notch. But those weeks of radio silence were pretty uncomfortable.

I have zero inside knowledge, so this is just my speculation, but it seems to me that he is trying to do everything by himself, and there is more to be done than one person can do. My CLR sounds great. But, after it took almost two months to get a response, I realized that I had no guarantees if the device failed. It's a great FRFR, no question about it. But it makes for a not so great, oversized paperweight if it breaks and takes weeks or months to get support.
Yes…one big reason I have a JBL SRX812 for exactly this reason. EV, JBL, etc. will be around…and I need support and consistency going forward.

So, I Have not tried either, but Im using a system I sort of cobbled together that seems to react much more like a real amp, but with all the benefits of FRFR. Im using the FM9, into a Seymore Duncan Powerstage 700 power amp, (stereo, 350 each side) into two ported single 12 cabs (matrix single 12s that i removed the speakers from) with Celestion F12 x200 full range 12 inch speakers, which are coaxial.
This monitoring system is the closest thing to playing through a real amp that I've experienced yet.
Heres a quick Clip of a band I play with (the Terry Simms Group) opening for Earth Wind and Fire last night at SummerFest in Milwaukee.
I was REALLY happy with the tone and feel. (Im still pretty Jazzed from the whole thing If you cant tell already!)

I’d also like to mention that the system I put together, if the components are judiciously purchased, might cost 1400 or 1500 all in, and gives you a stereo rig which can be run flat, or quickly EQed to fit an environment (via the seymore Duncan power amps front panel EQ section ) and has headroom for days.
With the EVs, it would cost 2000 plus (w tax, ect) and you have to dig into two dsp sections to adjust eq. BTW, I am in no way hawking any of these components, l’m just sharing info.

And so it begins. Initial 1st impression of the EV is it's very high quality, and noticeably lighter than the Xitone. Xitone is wider & taller than the EV, but the EV sits a couple inches deeper. They both have bacisally the same footprint in the end with one wider and the other deeper. Too early for me to say much in terms of how they compare tonally other than I've noticed the EV seems to have more low end than what the Xitone gives me from the same presets. I'll gig the EV this weekend and see how things go. I'm sure it'll work great, but I'll need to spend more time comparing them before I really know which I prefer.

Attachments

• IMG_4185.jpeg
    IMG_4185.jpeg
    983.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4187.jpeg
    IMG_4187.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 30
And so it begins. Initial 1st impression of the EV is it's very high quality, and noticeably lighter than the Xitone. Xitone is wider & taller than the EV, but the EV sits a couple inches deeper. They both have bacisally the same footprint in the end with one wider and the other deeper. Too early for me to say much in terms of how they compare tonally other than I've noticed the EV seems to have more low end than what the Xitone gives me from the same presets. I'll gig the EV this weekend and see how things go. I'm sure it'll work great, but I'll need to spend more time comparing them before I really know which I prefer.
One thing I really like about the EV vs Xitone is the angle of the speaker is better for me (I'm 5'11").

So, I Have not tried either, but Im using a system I sort of cobbled together that seems to react much more like a real amp, but with all the benefits of FRFR. Im using the FM9, into a Seymore Duncan Powerstage 700 power amp, (stereo, 350 each side) into two ported single 12 cabs (matrix single 12s that i removed the speakers from) with Celestion F12 x200 full range 12 inch speakers, which are coaxial.
This monitoring system is the closest thing to playing through a real amp that I've experienced yet.
Heres a quick Clip of a band I play with (the Terry Simms Group) opening for Earth Wind and Fire last night at SummerFest in Milwaukee.
I was REALLY happy with the tone and feel. (Im still pretty Jazzed from the whole thing If you cant tell already!)

Sounds great, and some nice playing, too. I'd be interested in hearing what type of preset you are using, if you want to share that. As you are using the Celestial F12 x200 speakers, are you bypassing the cabinet block? Also, are you using this setup as your backline while going to FOH, or are the speakers being mic'ed? And are there any monitors in place, as well?

Last edited:
I have had a non-neo CLR for years, and just got an EV.

Both sound great. Both are miles ahead of a lot of the repurposed PA speakers I see folks using for cheap.

Differences? I think the CLR is more neutral out of the box. To be clear I'm not measuring. This is ear only testing to reference music.
The DSP options in the EV are useful and can make it feel more guitar speaker like - but the super flatness of the EV is not its biggest benefit - its shape and portability is. It's a really easy carry and that matters to me. I don't have a roadie! : )

Both can get silly loud and both have excellent dispersion.

I'd love to try a Red Sound against either of them.

I'm still at the stage where a 2nd EV is high on my list... probably after I get my new pedalboard together and sell everything I won't be using, that is (so... could be a bit)

Back
Top Bottom