EV PXM-12MP vs Atomic CLR Neo

You guys are giving me the dreaded EV fever, and there's only one cure.
I just bought an EV PXM-12MP yesterday on Musician's Friend's 4th of July 15% off sale. Normal price at all of the stores I've looked at is $949. After subtracting the 15% discount the price is 806.65 plus tax. Ground shipping is free.

It is currently on back order at Musician's Friend. I didn't check at Guitar Center, but they are running the same sale. My rep at MF said that it is supposed to ship at end of July (July 27th maybe . . ?).

I just bought an EV PXM-12MP yesterday on Musician's Friend's 4th of July 15% off sale. Normal price at all of the stores I've looked at is $949. After subtracting the 15% discount the price is 806.65 plus tax. Ground shipping is free.

It is currently on back order at Musician's Friend. I didn't check at Guitar Center, but they are running the same sale. My rep at MF said that it is supposed to ship at end of July (July 27th maybe . . ?).
Talk to Manchester Music Mill in New Hampshire. I got mine for $825 each, no tax. No shipping for me because I picked them up on person, don't know where you are, or what their shipping costs are like.

Search the forum, I think one person did even better, don't remember where, and not a lot.

Talk to Manchester Music Mill in New Hampshire. I got mine for $825 each, no tax. No shipping for me because I picked them up on person, don't know where you are, or what their shipping costs are like.

Search the forum, I think one person did even better, don't remember where, and not a lot.
Mine's on order already. I'm happy paying $806.35 with free shipping. I'm not in a rush to get it because I have other interim solutions, so waiting isn't a big deal for me. Tax is 9.4% where I live, so that is a chunk of change. But I'd pay tax no matter where I order, except I guess if I drove to Oregon (no sales tax in Oregon). But the drive is about 2 hours each way, so there's time and gas to consider. Making the trip isn't worth it to me for just about $90. But other's might find this info useful, especially if they live in New Hampshire. I live in Washington State so doesn't help me much.

I didn't check Amazon but it's always worth poking it to see what their various vendors are offering.

I've never played thru a CLR, but I've been using a Xitone active wedge for a few years and I really have no complaints. I've been keeping an eye out for another used one (Xitone), but they seem scarce lately. I do like the idea of something that's comparable and 15lbs lighter. The punchiness that seems to come up a lot when I read about this particular EV is something I've always liked about the Xitone. Has anyone been able to directly a/b the EV and Xitone? I'd definitely be curious to hear about that.

I've got one of these EV floor wedges inbound. I'll offer up my 2 cents worth as to how it compares to my Xitone once I've spent some quality time with it. Looking forward to it.

I've got one of these EV floor wedges inbound. I'll offer up my 2 cents worth as to how it compares to my Xitone once I've spent some quality time with it. Looking forward to it.
I have a CLR and I have an PXM-12MP on back order. I'm looking forward to comparing.

Be wary of Atomic Amps. I bought a CLR and it went out at my first rehearsal. I contacted them, and they were very responsive. They were suppose to send my replacement power supply, but only created the shipment ticket. After a few emails with no reply after a month, I finally sent a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. They never responded to the complaint and now have an F rating. Do some research and you'll find others have had similar issues. I wish I would have. If the unit works, great, but I basically lost my money on a non working unit. I'm a very reasonable person, but this was my worst experience ever with a purchase.

Be wary of Atomic Amps. I bought a CLR and it went out at my first rehearsal. I contacted them, and they were very responsive. They were suppose to send my replacement power supply, but only created the shipment ticket. After a few emails with no reply after a month, I finally sent a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. They never responded to the complaint and now have an F rating. Do some research and you'll find others have had similar issues. I wish I would have. If the unit works, great, but I basically lost my money on a non working unit. I'm a very reasonable person, but this was my worst experience ever with a purchase.
How long ago? There's been some seemingly good support within the last few months although it was pretty bad for a while there...

I just canceled my preorder which didn’t ship when it was supposed to- they refunded my money immediately- seems they’re still getting it together- really wanted to compare it to the EV but screw it im so happy with the EV there’s no need

How long ago? There's been some seemingly good support within the last few months although it was pretty bad for a while there...
I recently had an interaction with Tom King, the main man at Atomic. Tom was great to work with. He was helpful, knowledgeable and patient, even though the problem I was asking for help with I could have solved on my own with a little more initiative on my part. What was disconcerting was the erratic communication. I asked for help via the Atomic support email address on April 10th. I received a response from Tom on April 14th saying that he would get back to me in the next few days because he was currently out of town. This was fine with me, and I thought was a reasonable response. Then, despite multiple additional email sent trying to setup a time to discuss the problem, I didn't hear from him for close to 2 months. When I finally did hear from him his service was top notch. But those weeks of radio silence were pretty uncomfortable.

I have zero inside knowledge, so this is just my speculation, but it seems to me that he is trying to do everything by himself, and there is more to be done than one person can do. My CLR sounds great. But, after it took almost two months to get a response, I realized that I had no guarantees if the device failed. It's a great FRFR, no question about it. But it makes for a not so great, oversized paperweight if it breaks and takes weeks or months to get support.

OK, got a EV PXM-12MP. I've been gigging with Atomic CLRs, but really wanted something smaller, but not to sacrifice the sound quality. I love the CLRs. They translate tones that I made on my Adam A7X studio monitors quite perfectly, and sound very full and balanced at gig levels.

The size is somewhat (20%?) smaller than the CLRs, and the weight ever slightly so (10%). The shape is more slim-wedge, vs fat-wedge for the CLR. Definitely better for size and weight, but still sizable.

Sound! The CLR sounds quite full and balanced, and is really exactly what I want a monitor to sound like. Side-by-sade and A/B with the PXM, the PXM was quite similar, except a bit thinner sounding and a LOT punchier. Way more aggressive for sure. Probably will be very audible on stage. They were set for MONITOR1. Don't know what that means yet, haven't RTMF yet. All controls to 0. Changed to MONITOR2. This had more lows and sounds more balanced, and is quite similar to the CLR. BUT where the CLR sounds more balanced, the PXM was again WAY punchier. I quite like it actually. And by comparison, the CLR sounds a bit... tubby. Certainly is very much lacks punch. I think I actually like the PXM more. Probably quite a bit more.
So, I Have not tried either, but Im using a system I sort of cobbled together that seems to react much more like a real amp, but with all the benefits of FRFR. Im using the FM9, into a Seymore Duncan Powerstage 700 power amp, (stereo, 350 each side) into two ported single 12 cabs (matrix single 12s that i removed the speakers from) with Celestion F12 x200 full range 12 inch speakers, which are coaxial.
This monitoring system is the closest thing to playing through a real amp that I've experienced yet.
Heres a quick Clip of a band I play with (the Terry Simms Group) opening for Earth Wind and Fire last night at SummerFest in Milwaukee.
I was REALLY happy with the tone and feel. (Im still pretty Jazzed from the whole thing If you cant tell already!)

Just within the last couple of months. He was right on top of it when I filled out the support page. Said he would send out the part via 3 day. After a week, I checked on the shipment and only the label had been created. Throughout a month I tried emailing him for a response with nothing. I even tried the support form again, in case it was something to do with email, which was doubtful. So, it’s been 2 months and all I have is a non-functioning CLR I purchased new. More upsetting was the fact he was promoting new ones ready for sale on FB not too long ago. I thought about seeing if someone local could fix it, but I don’t know how much it would cost. I don’t like the stress, but I thought it was important to document my issues for others.

Just within the last couple of months. He was right on top of it when I filled out the support page. Said he would send out the part via 3 day. After a week, I checked on the shipment and only the label had been created. Throughout a month I tried emailing him for a response with nothing. I even tried the support form again, in case it was something to do with email, which was doubtful. So, it’s been 2 months and all I have is a non-functioning CLR I purchased new. More upsetting was the fact he was promoting new ones ready for sale on FB not too long ago. I thought about seeing if someone local could fix it, but I don’t know how much it would cost. I don’t like the stress, but I thought it was important to document my issues for others.
Sounds similar to my experience, though I bought my CLR used locally. Though the communication was slow to materialize, Tom was exceptionally graceful and helpful once I was able to talk to him. Atomic is a business that I'm rooting for, but the communication must improve and promises must be kept (especially support for new equipment like yours) or I don't know how they can survive.

I'm glad I got refunded - once the time line for shipment passed I was out of there . sad seems like a great product but with the EV you've got great product support so no worries.

Back
Top Bottom