EV ELX115P Review

rtcook

Experienced
I thought I would give you guys a little feedback.

I purchased two EV ELX115P speakers and hooked them up last night. I previously was running a Marshall 20/20 EL84 rack tube amp into two Marshall 1960 V30 loaded speakers with an Ultra. I was able to get some really good Marshall tones from this. I primarily used the Plexi, JCM800, JTM45 and JCM900. I then decided to upgrade to the Axe II and I was never really able to get the Plexi Treble tone the same. It always had an ‘ice pick” tone. It may be truer or more characteristic of a real Plexi, but I just didn’t like it. I like the tone I got from the Ultra better. Well, I tried out the new speakers and turned on the amp and speaker sims. Dialed up a Plexi Treble and a 1960B V30 stereo cab setup. After about an hour of tweaking (I’m still new at this) I pretty much have my Ultra sound back. It needs a little more polishing, but I’m sure I can get it there. There is no “ice pick” tone and believe it or not, I think it has that “in the room” sound. The 15” speakers throw some air. Other than I have a speaker on the left and right rather than the two stacked 4x12’s, I think it “feels” pretty much the same. I know the 12” versions would not have been able to do the same. The only gripe I have is that the powered speakers have some hiss to them, but you have to remember they are in a room in my house and I am right in front of them and they are turned up pretty loud. There could be some interference from surrounding PC equipment, but I’ll dig into that later. For now, I think I will be very happy with these. I also hooked up my bass and tried the SV Bass and 8x10 cab. Very impressive. Shook the entire house. I’ll update more as I go.

Roger

I thought I would give you guys a little feedback.

I know the 12” versions would not have been able to do the same.

Roger

LOL!
Did you even try them? IMHO they sounded much better then the 15's, and yes I tried them. Oh, and VERY little hiss on the 12's.
Not so much a review...

I use an EV ELX112 passive monitor and I'm having problems with translation from studio monitors to the EV.

12's were the QSC K12. They didn't compare in my opinion. A 12 won't push air like a 15. So, I like the 15's better. It's all subjective. Take what you will from it.

Back
Top Bottom