EV-2 not working with Boss SY-1 and PS-6

Timberwolf

Hiya
I tried to get answers on the Gear Page, but got no response from a single user in more than a week, so I assume this is the only right place to ask :)
The problem is I have not been able to make EV-2 work as an expression pedal with Boss PS-6 and SY-1.
Tried 4 different TRS cables, no use. Works fine as a volume pedal though.
Might it be that I've got a defective unit?

Damn, this is what I actually suspected and even hinted in my TGP post :)
Thanks a lot for the answer, much appreciated.

To make Boss stuff work with Fractal expression pedals, you need a cable that swaps the tip and ring of the TRS connectors.
That would be weird because a Boss expression pedal works with Fractal Audio products.

That would be weird because a Boss expression pedal works with Fractal Audio products.
My understanding is that the Boss standard is wiper-to-tip, which differs from Fractal’s wiper-to-ring.

Fractal uses wiper to tip.

The pots on my two converted VP Jr pedals are wired wiper to tip they they both work perfectly with both my MFC-101 and my FC-12.

1707775464244.png

Boss also uses wiper to tip. The service diagram for the Roland EV-5 (which is recommended specifically for the Boss PS-6) shows a 10k pot wired wiper to tip.

1707776807439.png

It's possible that the 100k resistance of the EV pedals may be too high for the Boss pedal, but typically that doesn't matter that much since it's just a voltage divider.

Last edited:
Fractal uses wiper to tip.

The pots on my two converted VP Jr pedals are wired wiper to tip they they both work perfectly with both my MFC-101 and my FC-12.

View attachment 134910

Boss also uses wiper to tip. The service diagram for the Roland EV-5 (which is recommended specifically for the Boss PS-6) shows a 10k pot wired wiper to tip.

View attachment 134915

It's possible that the 100k resistance of the EV pedals may be too high for the Boss pedal, but typically that doesn't matter that much since it's just a voltage divider.
That wiring is opposite to what Fractal does, according to a wiki quote from the manuals:

“Expression pedals require TRS cables because full control voltage is transmitted to them on one contact (the tip), while less than full voltage is returned to on another (the ring) so the host device is able to sense and utilize the pedal position. The third contact (sleeve) is connected to ground.”

That is not how my two pedals are wired and they both work perfectly. Mine are absolutely wired Tip to Wiper.

Here's a gut shot of a DougB's Mission SP-1. It too is wired tip to wiper (red = tip, green = ring, black = sleeve).

1707780074523.png

Let’s get back to first principles. When you say it doesn’t work, what does it do?
So basically nothing happens if I try to use it as an expression pedal. As if it was not connected at all.
At first I thought the cable was defective, so I tried 3 more. Then I checked the cables with the multimeter. They're OK.

You can check the pedal's function with the multimeter as well. Measure the resistance between the tip and ring of a TRS cable plugged into the expression output as you very slowly move the pedal. It should change smoothly between around 0 ohms and 100k ohms from one end to the other of the pedal's travel. The resistance between the tip and sleeve should change the same amount, but in the opposite direction. The resistance between the ring and sleeve should be the pot's total resistance (100k) and should not change at all when you sweep the pedal.

So, at toe down, tip to ring should be close to 0 ohms, tip to sleeve should be close to 100k ohms. At heel down they'll be the opposite. With the pedal half way both should be roughly 50k since it's a linear taper.

Last edited:
So basically nothing happens if I try to use it as an expression pedal. As if it was not connected at all.
At first I thought the cable was defective, so I tried 3 more. Then I checked the cables with the multimeter. They're OK.
Is it programmed to do something when the pedal is connected?

Okay, that’s a start.

Next up: what @chris said...
Is it programmed to do something when the pedal is connected?

And finally: are you sure you're plugged into the right jack? Don't laugh. We've all been there. :)

Back
Top Bottom