EV-1 as a Volume Pedal

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I use my EV-1 strictly as a volume pedal. I have it set up as a global volume pedal plugged into the Pedal 2 slot. The way it's configured, it is at the end of the signal chain so I don't lose any gain from the drive pedals when I lower the volume.

I bought one of the Mission SP-2's to use as a wah. I've since found out that to use the toe switch I need to give up both of my expression pedal jacks on the FX-8. Is there any way the EV-1 can be configured to work the same way but without being connected to either the Pedal 1 or Pedal 2 jack?

In other words, if hook things up like this:

GUITAR>>FX8 IN (PRE)>>FX8 OUT (PRE)>>cable>>EV-1 (IN)>>EV-1 (OUT)>>cable>>AMP

Will it function the same as I've got it set up now?

Fortunately the Fractal Audio EV-1 is both an expression pedal and a volume pedal.

Based on your description, your volume pedal block is at the very end of your FX8 signal chain. Basically it's a software modeling equivalent of physically connecting the audio output from the FX8 into the EV-1, then to your amp. It should work very similarly if you just directly wire it. You won't have the same degree of programming the curve (to make it nonlinear) as you would when using the volume block, but the EV-1 is a fantastic smooth pedal and will serve you beautifully in this configuration.

No volume block. I've got it set up as a global volume pedal. I assume it's at the end of the chain. The relative preservation of my gain settings when I use the EV-1 to lower the volume leads me to believe this. Maybe I'm wrong, though. How do you check if the global volume pedal is set to be at the beginning or end of the signal chain? Bear in mind that I'm running the FX8 straight into the front end of my amp. No effects loop to use 4CM.

Last edited:
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Still, I believe the FX8 global volume is post-everything, so it should still work as described. Putting a physical volume pedal at the end of the chain is the desired outcome either way, so you should be good to go. Let me know how you like the EV-1 as a volume pedal. I think it's the smoothest taper of anything I've tried.

I've been using the EV-1 as a volume pedal since I got the FX8. I love it. Very precise control. My favorite of all I've tried before it.

Back
Top Bottom