Ethernet cable length

well i know ethernet cable can go about 100m before having issues if that's any help
It's not an Ethernet connection.. AFAIK - it's proprietary MIDI-based bi-directional communication over CAT5E cable with RJ45 connectors at each end - so it has all the appearances of being Ethernet.
IIRC - the max distance is around 50 ft.

It's not an Ethernet connection.. AFAIK - it's proprietary MIDI-based bi-directional communication over CAT5E cable with RJ45 connectors at each end - so it has all the appearances of being Ethernet.

Mmmmmhhh ... It sound's not correct.... Are You sure?

Mmmmmhh.... what part sounds not correct?

Only 50 ft for sending and receive simple midi information ...

By the way maximum respect for you man !
The "mmmmmmmhhh " was "think in' loud " sorry if it can be misunderstood

Last edited:
I tried 2 different 50' cat5 cables and neither worked for the MFC101 but work great for my gaming computer. lol
I've switched to 30' and it works great.

The maximum length for transferring on even a Cat 6 cable is 100m (328ft.), as was mentioned by rsf1977_again

When I talked to M@ about it he said 50' was the longest tested and he recommended 40' at the most. I use 25's and have no issue.

The maximum length for transferring on even a Cat 6 cable is 100m (328ft.), as was mentioned by rsf1977_again

Yes with Ethernet protocols, but this is not Ethernet, just a ethernet cable; what do I mean?
Typical setups orange pair send data, green pair receive data, brown pair for POE (power over Ethernet) blue pair not used.

Fractal uses all 4 pairs, 2 for data and 2 for power, ok no big deal. And I dont know which pairs for what. But we are already outside typical use.
Midi transmission - what is the frequency/bandwidth ?? Or is the midi transmission using a analog carrier wave, after all midi is old.
This would also play a part in transmission distance.

I dont know the midi protocols, so maybe someone could chime in but chances are pretty good it is not the same as Ethernet protocols.

Like he said! (Better than me) :mrgreen

John

Last edited:
Trust Him or see his signature ....

It was something I did for a customer who wanted his tech to change his presets (and IA state) from the FOH that was 80 meters far from his rig. We had only a 100 meters cable and it worked fine, even if having his tech in that position was and still is a weird thing for me :shock

Only 50 ft for sending and receive simple midi information ...

By the way maximum respect for you man !
The "mmmmmmmhhh " was "think in' loud " sorry if it can be misunderstood
LOL - no problem. The 50' was an arbitrary value provided by FAS to the test team as a "tested" working length. Doesn't mean it's the max working length or guaranteed to work at that distance. My understanding is that preset complexity and the amount of midi data being shipped factors into working distance. However, it is NOT an ethernet connection.

Back
Top Bottom